Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Year starts off a llittle rough....

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Default New Year starts off a llittle rough....

Now that the deer season is over, coyote hunting will get most of the attention.....So here is how the first couple of sets for the New Year went.....

Seen one this morning on my first set sitting on the bush edge about 110yds away but it turned to go back into the bush before I could get the scope on it.

Decided to do another set on a different farm late this afternoon, hand called one in to 65 yds... Wolf out to the coyote, it stops facing me head on, and .....................................I miss.... It sucks and is a crappy feeling especially since I seen this guy come in from over 300 yds away....

Thinking back, I shot at the coyote in the scope not at a spot on the coyote, just too excited I guess...
    A little advice for me and everyone else out there to remember.....aim small, miss small.....

Looking forward to another great season (fingers crossed)
    Happy New Year
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

I am sure you will get the nerves settled and knock a few down this winter.lol

Apprentice

User Info Menu

You will get 'em Fratri
    My attitude towards you depends upon how you have treated me.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Humble start to what I am sure will be another great season for you. Thanks for the hunting story. I enjoy everyone of them. Success is not only measured in the kills but the learning experience as well. You are a true ambassador for the sport.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Tough luck to start but I'm sure you'll turn it around. All of us miss at some time or another. Chalk it up to coyote fever!
    "where a man feels at home, outside of where he's born, is where he's meant to go"
    ​- Ernest Hemingway

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Hey all
    Great story!
    Other than the pelt, do folks actually eat coyote meat?
    My family friend owns a handful of farms and was thinking of trying for coyote, especially to give amateur hide tanning a go.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lifeOfBarney View Post
    Hey all
    Great story!
    Other than the pelt, do folks actually eat coyote meat?
    My family friend owns a handful of farms and was thinking of trying for coyote, especially to give amateur hide tanning a go.
    I am sure you can but I don't know of anyone that actually does....
    Tan the hide and do a euro mount on the skull

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fratri View Post
    Now that the deer season is over, coyote hunting will get most of the attention.....So here is how the first couple of sets for the New Year went.....

Seen one this morning on my first set sitting on the bush edge about 110yds away but it turned to go back into the bush before I could get the scope on it.

Decided to do another set on a different farm late this afternoon, hand called one in to 65 yds... Wolf out to the coyote, it stops facing me head on, and .....................................I miss.... It sucks and is a crappy feeling especially since I seen this guy come in from over 300 yds away....

Thinking back, I shot at the coyote in the scope not at a spot on the coyote, just too excited I guess...
    A little advice for me and everyone else out there to remember.....aim small, miss small.....

Looking forward to another great season (fingers crossed)
    Happy New Year
    Yea, kinda like flock shooting ducks! No worries Frank, like I always say, There's a lot of air around them !!

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Thanks a lot for sharing.
    I also started to hunt coyote recently, and did some scouting and put a few sets in the last 2 weeks or so, but still no luck with a sight of any yotes. I understand that too many things could go wrong, and I'm still trying to eliminate them one by one.

Just curious how long do you usually take for a set? I did 30-45 mins each time but really not sure if it's too short...

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by acb_ye View Post
    Thanks a lot for sharing.
    I also started to hunt coyote recently, and did some scouting and put a few sets in the last 2 weeks or so, but still no luck with a sight of any yotes. I understand that too many things could go wrong, and I'm still trying to eliminate them one by one.

Just curious how long do you usually take for a set? I did 30-45 mins each time but really not sure if it's too short...
    If I plan on doing more than one set....30 minutes max before I move to the next farm.................. but if I was going to do only one set, a little longer...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast