Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cost of trapping course and license?

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Where do you trappers sell your pelts?
    At the Trappers Auction?
    How does that work?
    Do you have to take all of your pelts to that auction to be graded?
    Where else can you sell pelts?
    If the prices are very low for your pelts this year, are you allowed to hang onto your pelts until the price rises?
    My attitude towards you depends upon how you have treated me.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Apprentice

User Info Menu

I have 2 areas that I trap one for over 65 yrs the other 12 yrs when I renewed that one I have a beaver quota of 10 which means I have to take at least 7.And also our first sale isn't till may.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Fur Harvesters Auction or NAFA. They both have pick up schedules where you drop off your fur, and then gets delivered to the auction. They both have good info on there websites of how they want the fur prepared. Basically skin, flesh the hide, put it on the stretcher board to dry, then ship to the auction house........and wait for a cheque to show up in the mail.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

A buddy and me are taking the Trapping course (Fur Management course) at Sir Sandford Fleming College in Lindsay this February. It costs $322.80. You can google Sir Sandford Flemming Fur Management to get details. The catch taking it there is that you have to show proof that your Rabies Titre is 5 IU/ml or better. Lucky I got my Rabies shots in the past so now I am just waiting for my blood results to see if I am good or need a booster shot. My buddy is paying $660 for his shots that he started in December so he can take the course. If you don't already have your Rabies shots, it will be too late for you to start and join us this February but is worth looking into for next year.
    One Shot = One Kill

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Wow lots of useful info in this thread. Thanks guys and gals

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Noseyarentcha View Post
    Wow. I did not realize there was a penalty system on trappers to meet quotas.

Geesh....really gotta be dedicated.

Is it the trapping association who gives out the fines?
    Note that this only applies to a registered trapline on Crown land. A registered trapline is a valuable thing and there are waiting lists for them; if the trapper who currently has it isnt meeting his/her quotas then it (rightfully) should be given to another trapper. When it comes to things like beavers there are real world problems which need to be attended to; Beavers flood roads. If they arent trapped then they will be killed by town maintenance workers/road workers etc or the town will have to hire a trapper to remove them in the summer when the fur is useless for selling. Neither of these are preferable options, so the Ministry maintains a close watch on the trapper responsible for that area to ensure he is keeping up with responsibility.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blasted_saber View Post
    Neither of these are preferable options, so the Ministry maintains a close watch on the trapper responsible for that area to ensure he is keeping up with responsibility.
    Thanks for the explanation..

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

I've been inquiring around about it. I hoping to have more information soon about it. In my area there appears to be a course in march.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12