Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Need advice

I'm looking into purchasing boat this year. I don't have any space at home to keep the boat. A storage facility 5 min from my house is asking $48 a month . my other option is to leave it a marina. I really don't know which way to go. The boat I plan to buy is 14 to 16 ft. If anyone has advice I would really appreciate it. Thanks .

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Price seems a bit steep for such a small boat, guess it's for the convenience of having it nearby. A marina wont be any cheaper. Try checking for storage facilities near where you plan to go boating. I've seen some of those storage locker places that allow outside boat storage for $25/mth. Also see if any farms near you that would allow you to store it, they have lots of room and the farmers usually ask around $20/mth. A boat that small should also fit in your garage, or on the side of your house, but check with your local town about any storage rules, I know that here in Vaughan they let you keep small crafts on the side of your house for the winter months, but some places dont allow it. Good luck.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Thank you for the advice , you make good points .

Apprentice

User Info Menu

I almost had the same issue ..... to many boats not enough space , so I had a buddy at work who wanted to borrow my 16 foot Starcraft . Made him a deal if he stored it he could borrow it as often as he liked ..... problem solved .
    Glen

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Check out the local dealers, theres one in my area that you get free storage (outside) if you get it winterized and shrink wrapped by them. I know you still have to pay but a lot of people get that done anyways and pay for storage on top. Not sure what they charge for the service, maybe I will call tomorrow and see to give an idea for comparison.
    Good luck!

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Thanks.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Fox View Post
    I'm looking into purchasing boat this year. I don't have any space at home to keep the boat. A storage facility 5 min from my house is asking $48 a month . my other option is to leave it a marina. I really don't know which way to go. The boat I plan to buy is 14 to 16 ft. If anyone has advice I would really appreciate it. Thanks .
    To get advice I think you would need to give some more details. Do you intend to fish/boat on a number of places all over the Province or do you plan to mainly fish on one body of water.I will assume you will have trailer and maybe an expensive outboard?
    So options change for security reasons.Have you considered just renting a boat and motor instead of buying.Personally $48.00 a month add,s up pretty quickly over a number of years.I hate leaving any equipment outside exposed to the elements,dirt,mice...
    Lots of things to consider, its not a real big boat but big enough that if you store it home it gets in the way.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

I live in a townhouse. Over the years I use to go and rent a boat at marina. I started to notice that renting was getting more and more expensive so I started just recently looking into buying a boat and leaving it a marina. Then I thought if I leave it a marina then I'm limited to that lake which is ok , but just wanted to weigh my options . I do like your guys feed back greatly appreciated.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Fox View Post
    I live in a townhouse. Over the years I use to go and rent a boat at marina. I started to notice that renting was getting more and more expensive so I started just recently looking into buying a boat and leaving it a marina. Then I thought if I leave it a marina then I'm limited to that lake which is ok , but just wanted to weigh my options . I do like your guys feed back greatly appreciated.
    Ok then for me it would be a simple math question.$48x 12 = $576.00 How much does it cost to rent a boat x how many times do you rent.
    If I were you and considering your limited space at home and depreciation of the asset, IMO I think you should just rent boats.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gilroy View Post
    Ok then for me it would be a simple math question.$48x 12 = $576.00 How much does it cost to rent a boat x how many times do you rent.
    If I were you and considering your limited space at home and depreciation of the asset, IMO I think you should just rent boats.
    I agree with Gilroy. I live in Brampton and I only bought the boat once I knew I could jam it into my Mattamy garage. In Brampton, you are not allowed to leave 'jack' in your driveway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast