Thread: Copper fouling question

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Default Copper fouling question

Why do my two 30-06 rifles copper foul more than my 30-30?

I can shoot 10 rounds out of either of my 30-06 rifles and get significantly more copper fouling than in my 30-30 rifle after 20 rounds.

Takes me days to get the copper fouling cleaned out otherwise accuracy suffers.
    National Association for Search and Rescue

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

30-06 hotter round and maybe a tighter barrel

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Significant copper fouling after 10 rounds - enough to affect accuracy - would be very unusual. A poor quality barrel would be my guess. What rifles are these (including the 30-30)?

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rf2 View Post
    Significant copper fouling after 10 rounds - enough to affect accuracy - would be very unusual. A poor quality barrel would be my guess. What rifles are these (including the 30-30)?
    Sorry, I could have explained that better, accuracy does not suffer at 10 rounds, not sure how many rounds it would take as I always clean it, just saying it takes a lot more cleaning to prevent copper build up in the '06 than the 30-30.

The rifles are an early Parker Hale in 30-06 (currently for sale), mid 90's Ruger M77 in 30-06, and a Marlin (Remington) Lever in 30-30. When I bough the PH it was significantly fouled and required a lot of cleaning.
    National Association for Search and Rescue

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

If accuracy is fine, I just do a light cleaning. I definitely don't do a major barrel cleaning after 10 rounds. Have you ever considered this? I know it can be annoying to see that copper streak on the lands, but if it is not having an impact on the rifle's performance, does it really matter?

Anyway, your 30-30 probably has the micro-groove rifling. Maybe that could contribute to lower fouling?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marker View Post
    Takes me days to get the copper fouling cleaned out otherwise accuracy suffers.
    Side note: The best cleaner I have found for copper fouling is Sweets 7.62 Solvent...takes just a few swabs before the patch comes out clean...great stuff.

https://www.amazon.ca/Sweets-OK-762-.../dp/B001OPNO44

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I don't clean some rifles for over 500 rounds as they don't need it. I just sold a precision 223 that didn't need cleaning for 150 rounds.

I keep a barrel log and clean only when the log tells me I am about to see accuracy degrade OR I see accuracy begin to degrade on a newly obtained rifle.

People clean WAY to much, which risks bore/crown damage. Consider not cleaning until accuracy degrades or storing rifle for months.
    Plus you will retain your cold bore zero if you won't strip the copper and simply clean lightly to only remove powder, etc.

Typically the poorer made the barrel, the more copper it gathers. I'd suggest leaving it alone or if it is a huge copper fouling problem after about 150 rounds with cleaning, I'd lap the bore, shoot until copper equilibrium is reached and then not clean again until accuracy falls off.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

I lapped out the start of rifling ... the copper fouling disappeared ...