Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Daily Pheasant Limit Changed to 10 Bids?

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

I always thought they should cut the grouse limit but extend the season to match rabbit and hare (end of feb). It would create a real nice winter hunt....admittedly I have no idea how this would impact the birds. From a recreational standpoint it would be lovely.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

I raised pheasants for years.
    one license enabled me to raise the birds,
    I needed another (same cost as the first) allowed me to kill my own birds,provided I only killed 3 a day ( the provincial limit)
    Why? No one knows, not the MNR people I spoke to anyway.
    The closest wild pheasant to me even in the heday of ontario wild pheasants would have been 500 miles away.
    I'm not surprised on the new proposed regs.They make as much sense as the old ones.It is a sad day in Ontario gamebird management

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

This is my response to the EBR, sent along in reply with other concerns I have with the proposals:

"Second, the increased daily bag limit for pheasants makes no sense at all. In my general area the pheasant hunting opportunities (outside of put and take commercial enterprises) are pretty much limited to those provided by the Elgin Stewardship Council at the Fingal PWA, the Friends of Hullet at the Hullet PWA, and those birds raised and released by the members of the Gosfield North Sportsmen’s Club in Essex County. These hard working folks raise and/or release a limited number of birds each season. By permitting higher daily bag limits the number of hunters having an opportunity to encounter these birds will be reduced, thus undermining the efforts and rationale (increased pheasant hunting opportunities) of the programs administered by these groups. If faced with these realities, I can imagine stocking efforts being suspended."
    You’re lucky to have the gear you already have. Some people wish they had stuff as nice as the stuff you think isn’t good enough. - Bill Heavey

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by smallgamer View Post
    This is my response to the EBR, sent along in reply with other concerns I have with the proposals:

"Second, the increased daily bag limit for pheasants makes no sense at all. In my general area the pheasant hunting opportunities (outside of put and take commercial enterprises) are pretty much limited to those provided by the Elgin Stewardship Council at the Fingal PWA, the Friends of Hullet at the Hullet PWA, and those birds raised and released by the members of the Gosfield North Sportsmen’s Club in Essex County. These hard working folks raise and/or release a limited number of birds each season. By permitting higher daily bag limits the number of hunters having an opportunity to encounter these birds will be reduced, thus undermining the efforts and rationale (increased pheasant hunting opportunities) of the programs administered by these groups. If faced with these realities, I can imagine stocking efforts being suspended."

Well said Smallgamer.....thank you for sharing!

I think Fingal may charge an annual fee or pass/permit to hunt pheasants? If so, Hullett may have to pursue this option if these proposed changes do indeed become regulation.
    Friends of Hullett

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Where can we send an email to? Can some one add a link?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FOH View Post
    Well said Smallgamer.....thank you for sharing!

I think Fingal may charge an annual fee or pass/permit to hunt pheasants? If so, Hullett may have to pursue this option if these proposed changes do indeed become regulation.
    Thanks. No, Fingal has never charged a fee in my memory, and since the Elgin Stewardship Council is really a small core of volunteers, I don't picture them wanting to get into administrating such a thing. I haven't spoken with anyone from the ESC about it so that's only my opinion. However it's my guess that the proposed increase in the daily limit will encourage them to cease their release program.
    You’re lucky to have the gear you already have. Some people wish they had stuff as nice as the stuff you think isn’t good enough. - Bill Heavey

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by roffey View Post
    Where can we send an email to? Can some one add a link?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    http://apps.mnr.gov.on.ca/public/fil...egulations.pdf

https://www.ebr.gov.on.ca/ERS-WEB-Ex...tusId=MTk4NjY5

Click on "submit comment" located on the right side of the page in the second link.
    Last edited by smallgamer; January 16th, 2017 at 07:13 AM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by smallgamer View Post
    However it's my guess that the proposed increase in the daily limit will encourage them to cease their release program.
    The release of up to 250 birds annually is mandated by the management plan for the area and funding for that release is provided by MNRF.

The management plan at Fingal does not allow for charging a fee to hunt pheasants or for any other use.

None of these things can be changed at the Stewardship Council's whim.
    "The language of dogs and birds teaches you your own language."
    -- Jim Harrison (1937 - 2016)

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Incidentally, called OFAH this morning on this subject. They will release their comments in the next couple of days.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
    "The language of dogs and birds teaches you your own language."
    -- Jim Harrison (1937 - 2016)

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by welsh View Post
    The release of up to 250 birds annually is mandated by the management plan for the area and funding for that release is provided by MNRF.

The management plan at Fingal does not allow for charging a fee to hunt pheasants or for any other use.

None of these things can be changed at the Stewardship Council's whim.
    Interesting to note.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast