Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: advise on trolling motors

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default advise on trolling motors

I bought a 16ft legend sc boat this summer and i am trying to figure out the right size trolling motor for it ie thrust shaft length. Any advise would be welcome.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Bow mount? Do you have a budget for a 24V system?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by roach19 View Post
    I bought a 16ft legend sc boat this summer and i am trying to figure out the right size trolling motor for it ie thrust shaft length. Any advise would be welcome.
    That's a fairly heavy unit. I would go a bit heavier on the trolling motor because you can always adjust the speed and torque down. A 24 volt system is the way to go.
    Society needs to stop bending to the will of the delusional.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Agreed. Go 24V 80lbs thrust and you can power through everything. I did Terrova 80 on my Lund 1650 Rebel XS. No issues.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

I have a fairly heavy 16' Mirrocraft with a 60 HP on it. My bow mount trolling motor is a 24V Motorguide 70 lb. thurst. It does the job nicely. Try it get a motor with an internal universal transducer as I have broken off my external transducer a few times.
    Rick in Muskoka

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone. It is going to be a bow mount. I would prefer a 12 volt system because that is what the boat has now. Can that be switched to 24 volt and what would that involve. thanks again all

Just starting out

User Info Menu

The type of bow mount trolling motor determines wether it is 12 or 24 volt. By saying "the boat" is a 12 volt system i assume you mean that the boat itself runs on a 12 volt system which it has too. Your trolling motor should never run off the same battery system as your boat motor and electronics. You need to have additional batteries to operate the bow mount trolling motor. So if you buy a 12 volt trolling motor you need one battery and if buying a 24 volt trolling motor you need 2 batteries. Depending on how long and how hard you fish will help you determine 12 or 24. Of course cost comes into play as well. If you are only using the trolling motor for a few hours at a moderate speed a 12 volt 50-60 lb thrust trolling motor will suit you just fine. If you plan on using it for all day fishing all applications I would get a 24 volt 70lb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just starting out

User Info Menu

I second the 24V system with 80lbs thrust . If it get windy out, the 80lbs will have no issues.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Roach19,
    How many batteries does your boat have? Mine came with three. One for the starter and fishfinder and the other two for the trolling motor. Those trolling batteries must be wired in parallel for 12V (double capacity/run time) or wired in series for 24V (more power/efficiency)

Originally, I was incorrectly sent out the door 24v system with only a 2-bank charger... I quickly learned after a weekend trip. Since then, I installed a 3-bank charger...

Factor in all your costs, but I think you'll get a recommendation for 24V/80lbs units still. It just can handle more. To me that is an option which is more safe.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

I had a 16ft. Lund SC that came with a 55lb. 12 volt system with one battery. I was lucky to get a full day on a charge. I asked a lot of questions and two problems were apparent. the motor was too small and had to work too much to move the boat and the 12 volt system was not able to supply enough charge. I changed to two batteries which gave a longer charge life but the motor was still too small so I replaced it with a 70lb thrust, 24 volt and solved both problems. I was able to get 2.5 days on a charge. Going to an 80lb and 24volt is the ideal way to go. Good luck.
    AA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast