Thread: Anglers plead guilty

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Default Anglers plead guilty

Anglers plead guilty

Four Americans have been fined $11,900 for fishing offences in the Rice Lake area, the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry reports.

Daniel Lee Arp and William John Hilinski of Erin, Tennessee, and Joseph Paul Hilinski and Robert William Hilinski of Glenshaw, Pennsylvania,
    pleaded guilty to having over-fishing and to packaging fish in a way that they could not be easily counted.

Each man was fined $2,475 for the over-limit and $500 for improper packaging. They are also banned from fishing in Ontario for three years.

The fish and a cooler were forfeited, the MNRF states.

The men were nabbed when MNRF conservation officers checking anglers leaving cottages in the Rice Lake area last June 25 grew suspicious
    of the men's load of bagged frozen bass and walleye.

Officers counted 49 walleye. A sport fishing licence allows the men to possess only four walleye each.

The case was heard in Ontario Court of Justice in Peterborough last Thursday.

** From the Peterborough Examiner**

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Should have been banned for life IMHO.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wtrfowlr View Post
    Should have been banned for life IMHO.
    49 walleye! 100% they should have a permanent suspension of fishing privileges in Ontario. There is no way to accidentally misinterpret the regulations to that degree!

Apprentice

User Info Menu

correct me if I'm wrong - but non-Canadian residents can't acquire a "sport" license. Aren't they limited to "conservation" only? So their bag limit would be 2 each.

?????
    Support your Troops. They support you.

Brandon MacDonald

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    correct me if I'm wrong - but non-Canadian residents can't acquire a "sport" license. Aren't they limited to "conservation" only? So their bag limit would be 2 each.

?????
    Non-res can buy a sport license with the full limit.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by werner.reiche View Post
    Non-res can buy a sport license with the full limit.
    excellent. thanks for the clarification.
    Support your Troops. They support you.

Brandon MacDonald

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

There is one condition where non-res are subject to conservation limits only

F-regs pg 5

"Non- Canadian residents camping on crown land in northwestern ontario are subject to conservation licence tag limits, except in the border waters are (see page 12)"