Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Default Manitoba Night Hunting is Starting a Race War

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I find it quite a dangerous practice. I've personally seen it done with complete lack of safety. You just don't know what's out in the dark and what the background is behind what you're shooting at. Night shooting with "primitive" weapons likely hood you would rarely if ever hit anything much beyond your target which is a far cry from high powered rifled and spotlamps. If you have to resort to spotlighting your game so they freeze, I don't think you're much of a hunter.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
    I find it quite a dangerous practice. I've personally seen it done with complete lack of safety. You just don't know what's out in the dark and what the background is behind what you're shooting at. Night shooting with "primitive" weapons likely hood you would rarely if ever hit anything much beyond your target which is a far cry from high powered rifled and spotlamps. If you have to resort to spotlighting your game so they freeze, I don't think you're much of a hunter.
    Agreed that it's a dangerous practice and should be outlawed completely,rights or no rights. More could have been accomplished if less inflamatory wording was used,though. You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.
    Society needs to stop bending to the will of the delusional.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I cannot believe the Supreme Court deemed night hunting legal. There are numerous links to this story and it was on today,s CBC news.

It looks like there have been a few hunters killing each other so very unsafe. The law does stipulate you cannot hunt at night if its dangerous, I guess they only consider it dangerous when somebody gets killed.

http://www.gov.mb.ca/sd/wildlife/hun...stnations.html

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...ident-1.943413

Member for Life

User Info Menu

The only night hunting we have in Ontario is Raccoon with dogs and .22's on a limited season. Even that's a bit dicey.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

It is too bad he used the wording that he chose. This unfortunately will retract from the real meaning of his comments about the safety, or lack thereof, of night hunting.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trimmer21 View Post
    The only night hunting we have in Ontario is Raccoon with dogs and .22's on a limited season. Even that's a bit dicey.
    I've never done it before. Don't see the need right now either. One thing that has to be realized. When shooting raccoons at night. There has to be a dog and you can bet your life that your shooting the raccoon in the tree. There really should be no reason to shoot the rifle unless your aiming up. Unless your a tree dweller you should be pretty safe on the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Goosesniper View Post
    I've never done it before. Don't see the need right now either. One thing that has to be realized. When shooting raccoons at night. There has to be a dog and you can bet your life that your shooting the raccoon in the tree. There really should be no reason to shoot the rifle unless your aiming up. Unless your a tree dweller you should be pretty safe on the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Shooting a rifle high up in a tree is always risky. If you miss,that bullet has to come down somewhere,right?

Apprentice

User Info Menu

They have night hunting in many U.S. states and there are minimal issues when done the way most of us hunt normally. For example, predators are commonly hunted at night with night scopes and/or large lights once they are on the way in. Again, it is in the execution of things. Ted Nugent is a big proponent of night hunting and he has actually written pretty articulately about it, so you can look it up. I think that on private property it could definitely be done safely. Just my .02 though.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Night hunting as a 'safety' issue is red herring...the real issue is that indigenous sustenance hunters having far more access to the moose than the sport hunters, and that sticks in their craw. Especially now that the moose population is in decline and there are fewer of them.

Be interesting to see the list of convictions of the 50 charged with night hunting...may surprise some as to who is actually doing it.

This comes after Manitoba Conservation officials said Tuesday there's been an increase in reports of night hunting and dangerous hunting in the province over the past year.

They said nearly 50 cases of night or dangerous hunting are proceeding through the courts, with 14 vehicles and 44 long-barrel rifles and shotguns seized by officers in 2016.
    Last edited by MikePal; January 24th, 2017 at 02:30 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast