Thread: Predator competitor

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Default Predator competitor

I posted a pic of a grouse in full strut chasing hens less than 2 weeks ago and enjoyed watching them around the property. Well, that did not last long as I saw movement in the back this afternoon and took a walk to investigate. Busted this guy red "clawed" snacking on one of them. He lifted off the ground and perched himself starting a staring contest. This is in broad daylight!

So, if you ever wondered why there is a decline in ruffed grouse you can add one of these guys to your list of competitors seen here with a death grip on the dangling bird.

Last edited by impact; January 23rd, 2017 at 06:15 PM.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Owls have been eating grouse for thousands of years.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
    "The language of dogs and birds teaches you your own language."
    -- Jim Harrison (1937 - 2016)

Member for Life

User Info Menu

If you've ever been out with a falconer, you know what many birds of prey are capable of. Whether thats flying through scrub like a kamikaze, or their ability to put prey down quickly. Mice, voles etc might be their most common diet, but many of them will take anything up to the size of a rabbit, small dog. Their fair game and "easy prey" as well.

Most owls, are far deadlier than most raptors with more power in their talons ( pounds pressure) along with silent flight and better hearing. And other birds are certainly on the menu, including Hawks and other owls, especially for Great Horned Owls. Ive watched a barred owl ( pictured above) go after other birds many times.

Theres some thought ( which I happen to agree with) that the resurgence of various Birds of Prey in many parts of Ontario is like a few other factors prominent in diminishing small game numbers. In particular the Great grey Owl in Algonquin.
    Last edited by JBen; January 23rd, 2017 at 06:28 PM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

haha lol.

On the upside Barred Owls are the most "approachable", tend not to take off and will often let a person quite close. They also tend to winter in the same location, where-as many others might only hang around for a few days before moving somewhere else.

Decent chance you'll see him or her again.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Real nice C.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JBen View Post

Decent chance you'll see him or her again.
    Don't want to see the owl again.... It's cleaning out my bush......(....lol

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by welsh View Post
    Owls have been eating grouse for thousands of years.
    ^^this^^.

In circumstances where predation is actually a problem, this is usually an indicator of poor habitat. An upland bird population with good cover can usually withstand predators.
    "What calm deer hunter's heart has not skipped a beat when the stillness of a cold November morning is broken by the echoes of hounds tonguing yonder?" -Anonymous-