Thread: Fishfinder at the Bow?

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Fishfinder at the Bow?

Hey Everyone,

Who's got a finder mounted on the bow? Is it that much of an improvement? Just curious as I'm thinking about it.

(I have an SI model on my console already)
    Last edited by Part9; January 25th, 2017 at 11:27 PM.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

You will find you will get a lot of bubbles interfering with the reading, I found the best location was a shoot through transducer mounted on the floor inside the hull at the lowest location. If you have a fiberglass boat you do not have to drill a hole, just has to be shooting through solid glass.

https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvis...nar-Transducer
    " Grant Mountain Bloodhounds Clementine Burgermeister TD, MiSAR"

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Currently I have a Helix 10 SI GPS on my console with the transducer at the stern. I'm set up with my Terrova in iPilot Link. I just find myself jumping back and forth from the bow to see the screen which is interrupting my fishing... I thought adding a screen to the bow will help. I can tie it into my Ethernet box and share the SI transducer.

Now all the new G2N units are out and I have to make a decision to forget about it or look at replacing what I do have so the G2N screens can communicate properly.

It looks I could buy two new Helix 7's for the same cost as a 10". I wouldn't mind a smaller unit on my console, but am doubting a 7" would be large enough on the bow to see properly.
    Last edited by Part9; January 26th, 2017 at 11:10 AM.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

I had a similar (but older) setup, I ran two screens off one transducer (shoot thru hull) with a cut over switch.
    " Grant Mountain Bloodhounds Clementine Burgermeister TD, MiSAR"

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

nfpcw6.jpg

Allows me to stay on top of a rock pile or follow a weed line etc...

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

I'm pretty sure your Terrova will have a built in transducer,if you use your Terrova's built in transducer you won,t need to share a transducer with you consoles unit and have to bother with any switches.
    That's how mine is set up and it works fine. I currently have a Lowrance Elite 5 on the bow but would definitely like an upgrade to a 7inch unit which would be fine for me.
    You can also get a longer arm for it to bring it higher when you are mounting it to the bow which would bring it closer and be more visible and easily adjustable. The RAM mounts are solid and you can configure them in many ways.
    Last edited by Mauro; March 13th, 2017 at 05:00 PM.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Mauro, that is what I was figure too as I read this, that unit would have a universal transducer in it. I will be putting the ultra on next week, and it has the transducer and buddy has your model I believe and it has the transducer, he is borrowing my hummingbird with 7" screen. Don't want to highkjack, but this might be a good question, can you use a lawerance on the back and humming bird on the front?

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Why not.
    Your preference.
    Two separate machines, separate transducers.
    You just can't link them together.
    My opinion anyways.

I just bought a new boat and I'm putting on two Garmin units.
    I'm not linking them.
    Don;'t even know if they can link.
    Don't really care.
    All new to me .
    ------------------------------------------
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Travelling Tackle Shop

User Info Menu

When I got my Humminbird 688 I took my old 525, bought a transducer mount for my bow mount trolling motor and mounted my old unit in the bow. I have a Motorguide 54 on the the bow with the transducer clamped around the bottom end and it works great. The gps, DI etc. Is all in my main unit, so the front one is used mainly for locating structure and marking a few fish. They are both powered from a group 31 battery in the stern.
    Just another way of doing it. Works for me.

Roe+
    A bad day hunting or fishing is better than a good day at work.

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Put one on the bow.
    I have a 5" on my bow and use it to jig for Lakers in 50-90fow so you should have no problem with a 7".
    Ardent
    Rule the water!