Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Possums?

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I had my first encounter with one about 25 years ago. Was walking a fence line with my springer, when I noticed it about 30 yards ahead on the field edge. I think we each saw each other at about the same time. Knowing they are vicious little buggers with needles for teeth, I leashed my dog. As I got close, I could see that it was playing 'possum, it was in a coma like state. When I returned by that spot about an hour later, there was no sign of it. An interesting encounter to say the least.
    "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." Ernest Benn

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Apprentice

User Info Menu

I hunt yotes at a friend horse farm.

Hay and water contaminated specifically with possum feces can infect horses with a debilitating neurological disorder.

So, they as us to shoot every possum we see....we oblige

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    If there is any chance one may eat something that they can go out and hunt they want them gone, I read it over and over on here, line it up with coyotes, wolves, bears, raccoons, weasels, etc.
    On the other hand, there are just as many on here who believe that because coyotes, wolves, bears, raccoons, weasels, possums, etc., aren't causing a problem in their little part of the province, then they aren't causing problems anywhere. Works both ways.

They're just as loud by the way.
    "where a man feels at home, outside of where he's born, is where he's meant to go"
    ​- Ernest Hemingway

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GW11 View Post
    On the other hand, there are just as many on here who believe that because coyotes, wolves, bears, raccoons, weasels, possums, etc., aren't causing a problem in their little part of the province, then they aren't causing problems anywhere. Works both ways.

They're just as loud by the way.
    FYI, I grew up around the farms of SW Ontario.

Problems with livestock is one thing, killing for the sake of killing is another. The same guys who are losing it that the coyote (non-native and moved here over a long time) are here and should be removed are the same ones saying we need to protect the Pheasants and European hares.

Opossums came in on the bottom of trucks, they are not native to Ontario but moved here and live here just fine in the south, the northern temps and lack of shelter keep them in the south but climate change is changing this, much the same as the tick.

Why so many people feel the need to kill off a species because it changes their preferred species is amazing.

If you think about it, cattle crap in the water and kills people, we should eradicate cattle in Ontario before we eradicate native and naturally moving species.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

When my dog is at risk from getting bitten by a possum living off garbage (yes they eat my garbage) Ill take every precaution to protect my pooch.

Killing anything just for the sake of killing isnt right. If killing an animal is fun to you, we probably dont live by the same morals. The only animals I kill or catch on a line are intended for the cooking pot and in the rare circumstance to protect my dog and family. The possums can live happily in the bush far from my house without harm and eat all the ticks they want.
    Last edited by Deer Wrastler; January 27th, 2017 at 12:16 PM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

A number of years ago, my neighbor across the road, lost 17 hens and 3 turkeys to an unknown killer till he borrowed my live trap and caught a large boar possum, end of the killings.

Down the road and on the next concession a couple of years later, turkey farmer kept telling me about the loss of a lot of his turkeys, till he discovered what killed them, again a large boar possum. He found this one while it was killing, by latching onto the anus of the turkey and eating it while it was still alive, then finally dying.
    When he killed that possum , the killing ended, total loss to him, 28, dead turkeys, that's a lot of money lost.

Another story about possums, they will devastate a pear orchard as one grower around here found out.

Around here, possums are considered " persona non grata " , when we see them, they are eliminated!

Apprentice

User Info Menu

They are incredible animals and the our only native marsupial. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

They are often subject to the "if it kills wild game it must be evil" mentality. I hope some of the people who abide this rhetoric don't find out what I had for supper last night...

I find it interesting to see that people are willing to admit that they intentionally run animals down with their vehicles. It says a lot about their ethics.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I got one that runs along my 5ft wooden back yard fence and its a big fat one.My avatar knows when he is outside especially at night as their eyes seem to glow a reddish color. The dog gets pretty mad as he does with any intruder into his property, that possum escaped with his life just barely last year when the dog jumped the 5ft and just missed the possum.They don,t appear to be very smart animals and this one might be in the wrong place at the wrong time.Lots of them down here in the city.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Has anyone seen any near Ottawa??

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    If you think about it, cattle crap in the water and kills people, we should eradicate cattle in Ontario before we eradicate native and naturally moving species.
    I love this forum for the simple reason of incredibly dumb comments like this one.

Keep ‘em coming!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast