Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sonar vs. Underwater Camera

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Default Sonar vs. Underwater Camera

Hello Folks:

The poll for this month got me thinking about sonar vs. cameras for ice fishing. I am still accumulating my gear and was planning on getting one of them next. I was leaning toward a camera, as I thought being able to see the actual fish and how they responded to your presentation would be better than seeing their presence via sonar. However, based upon the responses to the poll thus far, I think I must be missing something. I was planning on getting an Aqua-Vu AV715C, which is a 7 inch LCD color screen. It has a light, gives you water depth and gets very good user reviews. So I would welcome public or PM feedback.

FYI, I am not looking to start anything, as I truly do not know enough to have a preference yet. I am genuinely just looking for information. Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KennyT View Post
    Hello Folks:

The poll for this month got me thinking about sonar vs. cameras for ice fishing. I am still accumulating my gear and was planning on getting one of them next. I was leaning toward a camera, as I thought being able to see the actual fish and how they responded to your presentation would be better than seeing their presence via sonar. However, based upon the responses to the poll thus far, I think I must be missing something. I was planning on getting an Aqua-Vu AV715C, which is a 7 inch LCD color screen. It has a light, gives you water depth and gets very good user reviews. So I would welcome public or PM feedback.

FYI, I am not looking to start anything, as I truly do not know enough to have a preference yet. I am genuinely just looking for information. Thanks.

Cameras are cool and provide lots of entertainment value, but for a fishing tool you can't compare them to a sonar. If you're fishing lakers or a fish that move outside the lens on the camera, you're done, but a sonar will still track them... I highly doubt any half serious ice fisherman would prefer a camera to a flasher.
    Last edited by intothedeep; January 27th, 2017 at 03:23 PM.
    Live free or die...
    -New Hampshire State

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Cameras are good learning tools. You can learn exactly how your jig is moving and how to make it move better. And it is really cool to watch for a bit. I'd say it's worth buying to use as a learning tool for a few trips out or a season, then sell it. Sonar is the way to go for actually catching fish

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Cameras are old school, get yourself a good flasher, no blind sides like a camera, and no murky water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Woody

Nothing is more certain than an extremist's hatred of compromise

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Don't worry about starting something, if you want to starting something ask if a graph or flasher is better Sonar is by far the most useful tool.
    Ardent
    Rule the water!

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

OK, now that I have some good feedback, what do folks think of the Helix 5 and 7 ice units that can also be used on boats? They also have a flasher mode, so would that be a cost effective way to go? Again, just trying to see what is best. Thanks.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Cameras are great when you have kids out and use them during the day but mine is useless at night. Sonar is great when you can't sight fish

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

So far I've only used eagle and lowrance but I'm sure that unit will be every bit as good. I have little experience with flashers so someone else will have to chime in on whether digital flashers are as good.
    Like I've said I prefer graphs but that's where my experience is. A dual unit like that is a great way to learn both and make up your own mind.
    As an ice fishing Sonar I think the built in GPS is not very useful as it's easier to navigate with a cell phone and the nav app but if you plan to use it on a boat then GPS is a major bonus.
    Ardent
    Rule the water!

Swims with the Fishes

User Info Menu

I love my flasher, I started with a cheaper marcum lx3 and loved it. Even the small showdown units are great
    That rug really tied the room together

Just starting out

User Info Menu

The helix is a good idea so you can use it on your boat too, but keep in mind you will still have to buy a transducer for the boat at around $130. Get the helix if you have never used real flasher that way you won't know what you are missing lol vexilar all the way, most responsive units with best target separation in my opinion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast