Thread: New NAVIONICS chip? I'm confused..

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Default New NAVIONICS chip? I'm confused..

Hey guys~I've been out of the fishfinder/GPS game a long time...but recently bought a NEW lowrance 4X/Chirp for my kayak. I only fish Simcoe, Quinte, Scugog, Kawartha lakes so I wondered if the old "Great Lakes Gold" I had years ago would be the right choice.

You know the rest..lol

They don't make that card, the guys at Radioworld said there was only 1 chip to get that covered everything in North America if I remember the conversation right. $250 too. Considering how limited the area is I fish, dropping nearly $300 on the chip is a bitter pill to swallow. Then, strolling through Bass Pro a week or so back, saw they offered (but wasn't in stock) a NAVIONICS chip called "Canada Region" for $199.99. Sounds like it would cover-off everything I need. Apparently, there is a mail-in rebate right now too. Looking for some input from guys a bit more knowledgeable than I am. Is there a better chip out there? Is there anywhere to get a better deal?

Thanks for taking a moment to reply!

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Looks like Navionics plus is $215 plus tax with a rebate. What you want is either a used Gold chip or a used hotmaps chip. Either one should have the lakes your looking for. The only exception might be the gold on simcoe, but I think its on there also. I have both hotmaps and gold and I know simcoe is covered on hotmaps, but I can't recall if its on gold. Other than finding a used chip, I think your stuck with the big bill!

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

I have the old chips too.
    If the new machine will read them (should unless it only takes micro) they will be fine but will have less detail than the new ones. If you want a cheap work-around you can buy the Navionics App for your phone, I think it's still under $20.
    To check what it covers you can go to http://webapp.navionics.com/#boating@6&key=k%7DxiGratcN
    Ardent
    Rule the water!

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Considering most of the small lakes I fish on are not mapped the few times I want detail when I am Erie I just use the phone app. Works great and has more than enough information than I need.

Cheers

John

Quote Originally Posted by Rugger View Post
    I have the old chips too.
    If the new machine will read them (should unless it only takes micro) they will be fine but will have less detail than the new ones. If you want a cheap work-around you can buy the Navionics App for your phone, I think it's still under $20.
    To check what it covers you can go to http://webapp.navionics.com/#boating@6&key=k%7DxiGratcN

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Hi,
    I just want to relate a personal experience about older Navionics Chips. I just purchased a new Humminbird Helix, I was replacing a 997, the 997 had an 09 Hot Maps Platinum and a Navionics Platinum Eastern Great Lakes 07. I tried these card in my Helix and they do not work. I called Navionics and was told that the technology has changed and newer units will not read older technology also cards this old cannot be up graded. I have a limlted budget so I am going to for go the Platinum Edition and get a Navionics + for $199. These have the same information but do not have the 3D overlays and other bells and whistles of the Platinum. I hope this is useful to you. Best of Luck
    AA