Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What family day week end is all about in our family.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

And the cost to the tax payer goes up by 50%
    4 "Nurses" getting 100%
    3 "Nurses" getting 150%

It's not unlike Remembrance day. Government workers and many banks get it off, few else do.

Boxing day: The vast majority here get it off, many in our shop had to work it because its not a STAT day in the US. And at one point in time (not sure it still applies) it was against the law for banks to closed more than 3 days....Also the majority, theres no such thing as overtime. So nope, no 150% for not spending it with the kids.
    Many places in Europe start with 5 weeks off, here in NA it's 2 weeks. They also get more Stat days. I think 17 to our 10-11.

'Family Day isn't everywhere in Canada either (yet) I don't think.

Regardless, take it for what it is ( if your lucky enough). A day to spend with the kids.
    Or if your kids are grown, go spend the day with your won parents. Tomorrow is not guaranteed.
    Last edited by JBen; February 20th, 2017 at 06:32 AM.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Different for everyone. I'm self employed and would of taken the Friday and Monday off regardless of Family day week end. Would of pulled the kids out of school too if there wasn't PD days. Life is short and kids grow up fast. Long week ends to be honest do t mean a dang thing being self employed and farming is our business. When it's time to work 75 hours a week you go till the work is done sacrificing family time. When it's time to play you play hard and take your kids along for the ride. That's what this week end was all about. The kids also understand that this is the last trip to the cottage till schools out. Dads gota work and kids are expected to put long hours in. I didn't even know there was a long week end in May until I was a teenager because you were required to work. Family day like any other holiday just means different things to different people. Like my father who is at home working along side the highschool students who want to work. He will take his long week end next week end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Exactly Greenpark.

The "point" I was trying to illustrate is that we here in NA have built a world that is largely a "mirage", and that we all ( relative to Europe who have about 1,000 years on us) don't get much time off.

Period.

And its the little things that matter. Like our children or their grandparents.

Great pic

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    I do believe it is a statutory 'Public Holiday" by law in Ontario.
    your right on this Mike BUT if you already have more holidays than is the minimum permitted under the employment standards act ( around 9 days ) seperate than vacation your employer does not have to make it a holiday !

i found out this the hard way

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Monster29/66 View Post
    your right on this Mike BUT if you already have more holidays than is the minimum permitted under the employment standards act ( around 9 days ) seperate than vacation your employer does not have to make it a holiday !

i found out this the hard way
    I thought that scenario was only if you were unionized as paid 'Holidays' are be more flexible then.

Or it you worked for the Feds..."No Holiday for You"

I found out the hard way when I was working a 'cash' job and the owner saw no reason to close the shop
    Last edited by MikePal; February 21st, 2017 at 08:08 AM.
    Arte et marte (By Skill and by Fighting)...The RCEME motto

Member for Life

User Info Menu

my family day Sunday was much the same. still had some safe ice left and had invited a few friends and their kids out to a local pond. caught a perch, a few bluegill and a pike, but most importantly got my girls out on the ice for the first time, and some of my buddies brought there kids out for the first time too. my 21 month old liked being out there, but was really scared of the tiny pike my buddy got. oh well she has lots of time to get used to fishing.
    I'm so glad we got out, but it looks like we will not have much more ice this season.

IMG_4077_zpsj01hjwjy.jpgIMG_4097_zpstimwgkde.jpgIMG_4098_zpsaa7a5i2y.jpgIMG_4075_zpsundypin7.jpg
    My name is BOWJ..... and I am a waterfowl addict!

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Nice great pic!

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Great report GP! Love seeing pics of families getting out there, looks like a perfect family weekend.
    Same goes for yours BowJ looks like a fun day. Is your daughter looking down a hole, hiding from the pike or worshipping it? lol
    Looking forward to doing a little bit of that myself in the future Thanks for sharing!
    Ardent
    Rule the water!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12