Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Hunting Small Game With A Slingshot?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    I can't wrap my head around people hung up about 'ethics' in killing rats and squirrels. Killing a rat 'humanely' ...seriously ??
    Anybody who hunts should try and kill ANY animal or bird humanely, if you have not grasped that concept by now I really do not know what to add.

I view a slingshot the same as a bow and arrow, if you have not practiced and become very accurate then its not a good idea to use them.

TerryM tried to convey this sentiment in his first few posts but his common sense idea seemed to fly over everbody,s head.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

In the context of killing vermin, the term 'killing humanely' is an oxymoron. They are killed with malice to eradicate them.

Hardly "Humanely..def: characterized by tenderness, compassion, and sympathy"

I guess some folk turn a blind eye to the fact that putting out poison to kill rat/mice/squirrels etc, so it dies slowly by bleeding to death is probably not very 'humane', but that doesn't bother their 'ethics' from protecting their property.

The problem with the negative comments on this threat was that they assume that using a slingshot was not accurate and an inefficient way to dispatch of an animal. Both categorical untrue and proved out the poster had absolutely no knowledge (self admitted) of the sport yet felt compelled to pass his judgement on the 'children' on the forum (and most of the world) that do consider it a sport.

But your right Gilroy..."I view a slingshot the same as a bow and arrow, if you have not practiced and become very accurate then its not a good idea to use them" .....now go start a thread in the Bowhunting section and call them 'inhumane' hunters.
    Last edited by MikePal; April 6th, 2017 at 05:19 PM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Arguing on the Internet is a lot like competing in the special Olympics. Even if you win you are still.....?.. Special.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    In the context of killing vermin, the term 'killing humanely' is an oxymoron. They are killed with malice to eradicate them.

Hardly "Humanely..def: characterized by tenderness, compassion, and sympathy"

I guess some folk turn a blind eye to the fact that putting out poison to kill rat/mice/squirrels etc, so it dies slowly by bleeding to death is probably not very 'humane', but that doesn't bother their 'ethics' from protecting their property.

The problem with the negative comments on this threat was that they assume that using a slingshot was not accurate and an inefficient way to dispatch of an animal. Both categorical untrue and proved out the poster had absolutely no knowledge (self admitted) of the sport yet felt compelled to pass his judgement on the 'children' on the forum (and most of the world) that do consider it a sport.

But your right Gilroy..."I view a slingshot the same as a bow and arrow, if you have not practiced and become very accurate then its not a good idea to use them" .....now go start a thread in the Bowhunting section and call them 'inhumane' hunters.
    No one turns a blind eye as you say, we do it deliberately don't we?

May I remind you once more the context in which the comments regarding 'ethics' were made and as such applied to a far broader range especially the animals we hunt....some of which were mentioned previously in this thread.

In regard to the effectiveness of a slingshot I can agree to a certain extent but then again the examples used started to go beyond rats and squirrels. The example of a jack rabbit is quite comical, guess they better be sitting pretty still.

By the way I read all posts , for you to say some comments were negative would be up for interpretation....I just saw disagreement and different views and that........ has to be acceptable.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by krakadawn View Post
    ... has to be acceptable.
    Hard to see how a comment like : "My guess is you will wound 10 for every one you kill. Why would you want to do that" can be taken in anyway but negative and antagonistic...certainly not conducive to a 'discussion'.

And I guess disrespecting the members of the forum, fellow hunters that use a Slingshots, by calling them 'children' doesn't bother you in the least.

Anyway, I'm done...another thread driven to what sawbill calls "usual BS" by the usual cast of characters .

Good night.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

I don't see those comments as antagonistic ,perhaps not conducive to a reasonable discussion. I never think we should disrespect one another, especially fellow hunters.

I take exception to your quotation though...."usual BS" by the usual characters. How would you like me to characterize that statement??

Member for Life

User Info Menu

The example of a jack rabbit is quite comical, guess they better be sitting pretty still.
    Not sure why it would be comical.
    You ever see what a 1/4 to 1/2" lead ball will do to flesh and bone.

If you think there is not enough energy there how about you stand 10 to 20 feet away and take one to the chest or head.

What do you hunt rabbits with a 300 mag or maybe a 416 rigby?

Would not want to be under powered with something like a 22.
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwalker View Post
    Not sure why it would be comical.
    You ever see what a 1/4 to 1/2" lead ball will do to flesh and bone.

If you think there is not enough energy there how about you stand 10 to 20 feet away and take one to the chest or head.

What do you hunt rabbits with a 300 mag or maybe a 416 rigby?

Would not want to be under powered with something like a 22.
    Obviously you missed my point about the jack rabbit, it had to do with one's ability to hit a moving target as they are usually.

Respectfully I'll let you demonstrate.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Obviously you missed my point about the jack rabbit, it had to do with one's ability to hit a moving target as they are usually.

Respectfully I'll let you demonstrate.
    Well there is two things you and the rabbit( as well as most small or large game) have in common...

You do not want to be on the receiving end of the lead ball, and will normally don't stand still for it.

Thing is a rabbit/Hare's first defence to to sit very still and hope you Don't see them. So you get a white hare sitting against a dark back ground, and there is your shot.
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Going back to your statement, I have to say I really disagree. Your conclusion rests that it's either a hit or miss. In reality it could be a miss or a hit somewhere non lethal...say shoulder which means it's definitely not better than a dozen pellets put into non critical areas. Either way you may have to finish the job.
    The above would not prevent me from using a slingshot, I just think I'm not very good with one.
    Good shootin guys!
    Ok, ban the use of the 22LR for all hunting, it is exactly the same thing.

You have to practice to hit a small target with a 22LR, if you miss a vital spot then everyone needs to stop using it.

We can say the same for wing shooting, since your much more likely to kill that bird with more pellets then we must ban the 20ga, there are other options that give you more pellets down range, the obvious choice is to mandate the 10ga or even the 8ga for any type of hunting, this way we will maximize the chance of a kill shot.

You see how stupid that all sounds?

You hit the small game animal in the vitals with a slingshot and you will kill it, no question there, this is the same as the 22LR and your shotgun. Different tool for the same job and 100% legal.

Ethics are personal, I personally will not have a problem with using a slingshot on bunnies, 410 for grouse, mouse traps on mice (hardly sporting) and a long bow on deer when I want.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast