Thread: Cleaned out Blue Bird Nesting boxes

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Default Cleaned out Blue Bird Nesting boxes

For some reason, I didn't clean out the Bluebird nesting boxes the fall. A nice day today so I went out and started to clean them out. The first box had 2 deer mice in it and them jumped out as I pulled out all of the old nest material. I moved onto the rest and the next 5 had from 1 to 2 Deer mice in them! MY old Lab Maggie was busy chasing them around the grass! Out of 14 nesting boxes, 7 of them had mice. This is the first year I didn't clean them out in the fall. In the past, I might have 1 or 2 with a mouse nest in them, but not this many.

Nature can be interesting!

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JMatthews View Post
    For some reason, I didn't clean out the Bluebird nesting boxes the fall. A nice day today so I went out and started to clean them out. The first box had 2 deer mice in it and them jumped out as I pulled out all of the old nest material. I moved onto the rest and the next 5 had from 1 to 2 Deer mice in them! MY old Lab Maggie was busy chasing them around the grass! Out of 14 nesting boxes, 7 of them had mice. This is the first year I didn't clean them out in the fall. In the past, I might have 1 or 2 with a mouse nest in them, but not this many.

Nature can be interesting!
    I read an Article recently that this year is supposed to be bad for mice, and the article also discussed how a group of scientists have found that when there's an influx in mice there's an influx in ticks. I can't remember where I read it or I'd post a link..

Not looking forward to having to check my dog and daughters thoroughly after every trip this year!! But better to be safe than sorry..
    My name is BOWJ..... and I am a waterfowl addict!

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Does that ever bring back a memory
    . I was about 8 out hunting with Dad. I found a dead mouse , and hid it in my coat as I knew Dad would be mad with me bringing home a dead mouse. Sure enough, the heat brought the mouse back to life. I was freaking out and jumping up and down on the seat. Dad pulled over the car. No he wasn't mad ; he was laughing his head off. Took it home and kept it for quite a while. Didn't even think about ticks back then.
    " We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon View Post
    Does that ever bring back a memory
    . I was about 8 out hunting with Dad. I found a dead mouse , and hid it in my coat as I knew Dad would be mad with me bringing home a dead mouse. Sure enough, the heat brought the mouse back to life. I was freaking out and jumping up and down on the seat. Dad pulled over the car. No he wasn't mad ; he was laughing his head off. Took it home and kept it for quite a while. Didn't even think about ticks back then.
    I was cutting down some dead trees in our woodlot years ago and a mouse jumped off of the tree and ran up my arm into my coveralls. I could feel it scratching around my back so I just fell down onto my back to end that.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I build my Blue Bird houses 8 of them, with a swing out front which I swing open in late Sept. and clean them out, I have no problems with mice or any other unwanted birds [barn sparrows] or other creatures.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

I helped with blue bird box cleaning early this month with Long Point Basin Land Trust. We cleaned about a dozen boxes on a LPBT property. One had mice, several had been taken over by house wrens.
    It was an interesting job, seek g what the birds had used for construction materials. One had even woven a piece of plastic wrap through the nest.
    Girl Gone Wild