Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 152

Thread: some people need to read regulations

  1. #11
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by buckluck_9pt View Post
    i am sorry to vent, but i am truly amazed by some hunters every year... i don't know if people don't know how to interpret the regulations or even look at them, but every season or two I have conversations with people, most of whom are long time hunters, who tell me stuff that is " the law" and I shake my head... a few years ago , during my heavy equipment course, a guy argued until he was blue in the face that the controlled hunt in Newbury/Bothwell are was only a weekend hunt, not a full week... no matter what I told him ( even when I told him we hunt for a full week, see and interact with CO's that would clearly charge us if we were hunting out of season) he was right... then I had to literally print off an email from a local CO that I had to show it is 100% legal to bait for deer, moose and bear during hunting season in Ontario.. still didn't believe me! .. then I had it out with someone who told me if I scouted turkeys with camo on, sitting in my blind ( not on here, although I know this was a discussion on here a while back too) that I would be charged for hunting out of season AND harassing wildlife.. now, I just had to clarify with a long time hunter that it is legal to hunt with decoys in Ontario... yes, i was "informed" by another long time hunter that "i better not get caught hunting with decoys.. it's illegal"... come on people... please , for the love of all humanity, read and understand the regs before running off at the mouth about what is and is not legal during open seasons... just baffles me... just to note, not bashing or calling out anyone on here or any other forum.. just putting out there what I have had told to me through general hunting conversations with friends and co workers..
    Well generally I do agree with you that the regulations are pretty simple and easy to understand BUT that does not mean all and if you read them and think you have understood them you might get a unpleasant surprise.So I will give you a example of what I mean Page 23 of the regulations ROADS -Possession and Discharge of Firearms.So I,am in Wollaston Township, can I have a loaded gun in my possession while walking on a roadway during open season for Moose Season.
    Does it change for Deer season and if i does,how does it change?

    Lets talk about group hunting and the meaning of "immediate" when having to tag an animal when group hunting. The law says the tag holder must immediately tag the animal where it dropped.Your hunting in a group and your Dad who is 65 years old and is 4 kilometers away through the bush and is WALKING back to you.Is his 2 hour walk going to meet the criteria for "immediate".

    I could go on and on but it might make your head explode.Now I will guess your first language is English, imagine trying to figure out the wording of some of the regulations if this is not your first language.

    In my opinion your making this overly simplistic and if you have been viewing on here awhile we will have seen the hundreds of posts debating regulations and laws often misunderstood everything from trespass to controlled hunts.

    In the "interesting story" thread which I think you might be alluding to in this thread we have three or four levels of courts and Judges making different decisions on the law with respect to baiting for waterfowl.

    http://www.canlii.org/en/ca/scc/doc/...?resultIndex=3
    Last edited by Gilroy; March 27th, 2017 at 04:26 PM.

  2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT
     

  3. #12
    Post-a-holic

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rick_iles View Post
    There is an Ask a CO question regarding calling turkeys early, before legal light, with an encased shotgun. The answer from the CO was pretty much that you could be charged as it meets the literal definition of hunting. I would imagine sitting in a blind, all camo, calling turkeys before season COULD meet the definition of hunting. I do know a couple CO's that would lay that charge....
    Your other examples are pretty much no brainers!!
    Only way you would ever get charged us if you were in possession of a firearm...sitting in a blind before season scouting would never land you a charge, as you don't have a firearm....I would love to see a CO make a charge like that stick if you are scouting and have NO firearm anywhere near you....the CO I spoke with said they would never consider it if there is no firearm in your blind, or in your vehicle...

  4. #13
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by buckluck_9pt View Post
    Only way you would ever get charged us if you were in possession of a firearm...sitting in a blind before season scouting would never land you a charge, as you don't have a firearm....I would love to see a CO make a charge like that stick if you are scouting and have NO firearm anywhere near you....the CO I spoke with said they would never consider it if there is no firearm in your blind, or in your vehicle...
    I agree ! However, the CO may not. I wouldn't go as far as saying "only way you would ever get charged". Laying a charge is a long way from a conviction. The Sections in the various Acts are open to interpretation. Unfortunately, the only interpretation that counts is that of a court. I've seen some pretty strange interpretations by CO's over the years. We are lucky here, we have a great bunch of CO's.
    Last edited by rick_iles; March 27th, 2017 at 04:34 PM.

  5. #14
    Getting the hang of it

    User Info Menu

    Default

    My favorite is one that comes from non-hunters not necessarily people against it just people that have no idea any of the rules or regulations at all... "you can't hunt canada geese! They're protected! They're called CANADA geese for a reason!"

    I just smile and nod! sure thing bud!

    Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

  6. #15
    Has too much time on their hands

    User Info Menu

    Default

    My favorite one is having idiots tell me that a landowner cannot hunt their property if they post "no hunting" signs.

    Yep, just nod n smile?
    Although care has been taken in preparing the information contained in the above post, the author does not and cannot guarantee its accuracy. All rights reserved.

  7. #16
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bushmoose View Post
    My favorite one is having idiots tell me that a landowner cannot hunt their property if they post "no hunting" signs.

    Yep, just nod n smile?
    Funny thing there moose. In "some" places that is true. Guess they don't want you creating a private hunting preserve. But if you post your land no trespass you can always tell anyone that asks NO. But the places where I have seen the no hunt means everybody stuff they are handing out some pretty stiff fines for trespassing .
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

  8. #17
    Has too much time on their hands

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snowwalker View Post
    Funny thing there moose. In "some" places that is true. Guess they don't want you creating a private hunting preserve. But if you post your land no trespass you can always tell anyone that asks NO. But the places where I have seen the no hunt means everybody stuff they are handing out some pretty stiff fines for trespassing .
    I'm just nodding n smiling?
    Although care has been taken in preparing the information contained in the above post, the author does not and cannot guarantee its accuracy. All rights reserved.

  9. #18
    Post-a-holic

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilroy View Post
    Well generally I do agree with you that the regulations are pretty simple and easy to understand BUT that does not mean all and if you read them and think you have understood them you might get a unpleasant surprise.So I will give you a example of what I mean Page 23 of the regulations ROADS -Possession and Discharge of Firearms.So I,am in Wollaston Township, can I have a loaded gun in my possession while walking on a roadway during open season for Moose Season.
    Does it change for Deer season and if i does,how does it change?

    Lets talk about group hunting and the meaning of "immediate" when having to tag an animal when group hunting. The law says the tag holder must immediately tag the animal where it dropped.Your hunting in a group and your Dad who is 65 years old and is 4 kilometers away through the bush and is WALKING back to you.Is his 2 hour walk going to meet the criteria for "immediate".

    I could go on and on but it might make your head explode.Now I will guess your first language is English, imagine trying to figure out the wording of some of the regulations if this is not your first language.

    In my opinion your making this overly simplistic and if you have been viewing on here awhile we will have seen the hundreds of posts debating regulations and laws often misunderstood everything from trespass to controlled hunts.

    In the "interesting story" thread which I think you might be alluding to in this thread we have three or four levels of courts and Judges making different decisions on the law with respect to baiting for waterfowl.

    http://www.canlii.org/en/ca/scc/doc/...?resultIndex=3
    i agree, some of the the literature is confusing. but as i always do, contact the mnr for clarification.. i know up north where i was from you could walk the access roads with a loaded gun for grouse.. when i took the fish and wildlife course, it covered some ( only some, not all as it is a steep slope) of the laws about that.. i know up north, if the roads were not maintained, you could walk them with a loaded shotgun for grouse, rifles for moose etc.. yet you could not shoot across the road.. odd but that is how they enforced it up there... in terms of group hunting and the term immediate when it comes to tagging.. had this discussion with a CO as well.. their answer.. if you are group hunting and you shoot/harvest an animal, you are to immediately contact the group member with the valid tag ( with in the confines of the group hunting policies; same WMU, valid tag, within 5 km's etc), together you must search for the animal and upon finding it, immediately tag it.. the trailing of the animal must also be done within a timely fashion.. for your example, if your partner with the tag is hunting 4 km away, they will allow the appropriate time for them to come to you.. meaning, immediately they must give up their hunt, get to you and start the search for your game animal... don't call , tell them you shot one and wait until the end of the hunt/day , or even for an hour, before starting to pack up and meet you to search for your animal... that is what our CO here stated , as i also had a question about their interpenetration of immediate...

  10. #19
    Post-a-holic

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rick_iles View Post
    I agree ! However, the CO may not. I wouldn't go as far as saying "only way you would ever get charged". Laying a charge is a long way from a conviction. The Sections in the various Acts are open to interpretation. Unfortunately, the only interpretation that counts is that of a court. I've seen some pretty strange interpretations by CO's over the years. We are lucky here, we have a great bunch of CO's.
    true, we got some good CO's here too.. i suppose if they wanted to, they could lay a charge, but i can surely tell you without a firearm present ( either on the persons themselves or in their vehicles), they wouldn't do anything other than give you a talking to advising it could be considered an offense.. i know they do this with individuals who have a history of doing "shady" things, etc... i know when i took the fish and wildlife, our law professor always said " find that firearm, if there is one"... lol.. i understand totally that by doing such it "could" be considered by definition, hunting.. but without a firearm present, it would never happen.. i had a similar discussion before about shed hunting and walking through the woods.. guy said if i crossed a deer path or followed it ( which i always do in search of a shed antler) i could be charged for harassing wildlife and hunting, as per the literature, it could be taken as tracking or pursuing game... like i say, its possible, but i personally do not know a CO that would give you a hard time, if they determine you are simply scouting and have no firearms.. but like you say, weirder things have happened i guess

  11. #20
    Post-a-holic

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat88 View Post
    My favorite is one that comes from non-hunters not necessarily people against it just people that have no idea any of the rules or regulations at all... "you can't hunt canada geese! They're protected! They're called CANADA geese for a reason!"

    I just smile and nod! sure thing bud!

    Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

    hahahahaha.. man, i laugh at this one, only because i get this ALL THE TIME... I had a lady pissed at me because i said i was going goose hunting ... she was pissed! was going to call the cops and have me charged for hunting out of season and shooting " an endangered species"... i laughed and told her to go ahead, while pulling out my migratory bird stamp and showing her the seasons... she was dumb founded...

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •