Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arctic cat atv

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Default Arctic cat atv

My dad is looking at buying a pair of arctic cat atvs new.. 2016s i know they arent hondas.. but how is the overall quality of arctic cats?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
    Member of the OFAH, CCFR/CCDAF.
    http://firearmrights.ca/

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Are they not both Japanese? In the sleds line the arctic cats are stellar. I had a 74 cheetah 5000 and a 85 panther. Great machines. I think they are a good choice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

I have only heard good things about the Cats. Suzuki engines?

Just starting out

User Info Menu

I have Arctic cat Alterra 400 2016 since October. I was in between of Honda and Cat and decided to save money. Not sure about other models, but this one is pretty good. I'm happy with that. The only thing is cold start pump. You need a stick or screwdriver to reach it and pump it even with side cover panel removed. But overal it is good. Electric starter works great. That was my another concern. I don't mind to use kick starter like Hondas but battery is just overkill. This is good honest ATV without bells and whistles, exactly as I like. And the price is right.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

I own 2 Cats. One with the 443cc and one with the 700 Twin.
    Both engines are made by Kymco and both and great engines.

I have not had any issues and my dealer is great to deal with when recalls happen.

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

I bought a 400 core in Aug 2015. Price,and value for the dollar was my main reason.

I've used it heavily at the cottage, and during hunting season, and have zero issues with it. My friend just bought a 500 as well, and loves his.

The 400s are actually not made by Arctic Cat at all. They are re-badged Kymco's, and there's not a thing wrong with that. The Kymco engines are used in many other ATVs, including Yamaha.
    "Camo" is perfectly acceptable as a favorite colour.

Proud member - Delta Waterfowl, CSSA, and OFAH

Just starting out

User Info Menu

This is interesting because Kymco didn't offer Alterra 400 like model at all. The closest analog is their MXU-450 which is about $6800 before tax.
    I like Kymco and if Arctic Cat 400 is remadged Kymco, this is even better.
    Anyhow this is good ATV and price is right regardless of manufacturer. I like Honda and Yahmaha but I don't like their price tags. There are always better options on the market such as 400 alterra and stuff like that.

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by isartw View Post
    This is interesting because Kymco didn't offer Alterra 400 like model at all. The closest analog is their MXU-450 which is about $6800 before tax.
    I like Kymco and if Arctic Cat 400 is remadged Kymco, this is even better.
    Anyhow this is good ATV and price is right regardless of manufacturer. I like Honda and Yahmaha but I don't like their price tags. There are always better options on the market such as 400 alterra and stuff like that.
    They don't have much of a presence in Canada, but if you look at the specs and pics of the MXU400, other than some cosmetics, it's the same bike. Evey ATV forum indicates the same.

My guess? Artic Cat downplays that angle, since they like the made in the USA stamp.
    "Camo" is perfectly acceptable as a favorite colour.

Proud member - Delta Waterfowl, CSSA, and OFAH

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebulldog View Post
    My guess? Artic Cat downplays that angle, since they like the made in the USA stamp.
    Absolutely. You are right. They do the same trick like car manufacturers. I know for sure that first generation Chevrolet Equinox, which was assembled in Oshawa had whole engine unit manufactured in Shangai, China.
    But I'm fine with that unless other Japanesse brands such as Yamaha share the same components with Arctic Cat because their quality control is hard to compromise.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

One member of our ATV club has had the motor replaced 3 times under warranty. Last time they snorkeled the quad. Apparently if your like to hit mud puddles fast they tend to suck up water into the motor. It was never a problem for him with the Can-Am (un-snorkeled) but the tree was a problem. His wife wrote it off & brought the Cat to replace it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast