Thread: Side Scan question

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Default Side Scan question

So, if I am anchored and my side scan is on, will it show fish off to the side swimming in and out of the signal?
    ------------------------------------------
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

don't quote me on this John, but like your down image , it only shows structure.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Very difficult to ID fish on a side scan but they are there...Here's a good read with pic's to show you fish on a side scan.

https://doctorsonar.com/blogs/educat...rance-sidescan

Apprentice

User Info Menu

That is a good question.......I have a Helix 5 SI GPS and I only use mine to find structure. Now it does show you fish when moving but they are small compared to the structure on the bottom plus my 5" display is not the largest so they are almost invisible but my understanding is that yes.....SI does pick them up as well. I usually run a split screen SI and Sonar as the sonar picks up fish and they are more visible on the screen.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

It should image fish whether you motor by them or they motor by you. The trick is to be able to id "fish."

Regardless, most Consumer grade SSS aren't going to image fish over about 25 yds to either side. It's all about high freq. and the pixels available at the selected range to show finer detail, like fish.

The other variable that makes it difficult to image themm is your sonar angle vs their angle, for example moving over them from tail to head vs acrosstheir back.

I have located fish that were on underwater ditches dropping into deeper lake water in Toledo Bend and Sam Rayburn by catching them although they weren't "there" on the screen until I got closer and motored over them at a different angle.

Once I "saw" the image of REAL fish, it was an ah ha moment on just how close one has to be to recognize/ see fish returns on a SSS unit.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Thanks for all of your input
    ------------------------------------------
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle