Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Loaded Firearm or not?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    I usually hunt with much cheaper bullets....an average 350 gr lead sabot/conical from PR bullets is about $12 (on sale) for 12...$1.00 each....but it stills galls me to be wasteful. I'll continue to take out the primer and consider it unloaded. The laws are far to convoluted in regard to ML's , any lawyer should be able to get it thrown out of court...or until a judge tells me differently.

I tried unloading it thru the breach once and the breech plug anti seize mixes with the powder it made a real mess...the threads had to be cleaned inside the barrel etc. The powder also has to be thrown out as it is contaminated etc..so no thanks, that is no longer an option.

If I have to clear the barrel.....I'll spend the $1.50 (incl powder) and make smoke
    I think in your case you could argue protection of property, city boys may have a bigger issue.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    I think in your case you could argue protection of property, city boys may have a bigger issue.
    More so, because I hunt in my own back yard and usually leave the ML in the range shack so it doesn't get condensation on it coming into the house.

not to say...shooting a raccoon trying to get into my chicken coop with a .50 cal would be warranted

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jack View Post
    Hate the idea of pissing away a two or three dollar bullet every time I leave the bush.
    For years , our group which consists of 3 CO'S, 2 retired one still working, during the controlled hunt we all use muzzle loaders which require a Shot Shell primer for ignition non have ever shot off their guns at the end of the day, all have just removed the primer and we were ready to go the next day.
    However when the season ended, that was a different story, the guns were all shot off as that is when they were considered to be going into storage.
    This is the way the CO'S saw the law and interpret it, The police may see it another way should they be called to your house in case of a domestic or some other reason. Just make sure that you don't give them any reason to be there.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

I refuse to comment on the grounds of incriminating myself.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Its laid out pretty clear in the FWCA and the Firearms Act. And as usual, Rick Iles is correct. I can't imagine it would ever be an issue though, unless maybe there was a negligent discharge or a gun got stolen or something.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    As spcamno quoted...you have to remember that the Firearms Act trumps the Hunting regs if it comes to charges being laid in accordance with the 'Storage and Transport' laws.

I have for years worked under the auspice of the Hunting Regs, ie; using the "AND" word in it's definition of loaded . ergo..I remove the primer rendering the gun unloaded and leave the projectile in the barrel while hunting during the ML week.

However I was informed that it is the Firearms Act that covers the laws of 'Transport and Storage'..ie once you have gotten home. Therefore the definition 'unloaded' in the act is the legal requirement and it requires you to remove the projectile from the chamber.

The legal argument could be made that if they allow you to remove the primer to take the gun into your truck to go from one spot to another while hunting...and that is considered 'unloaded' ....what has changed at the end of the day when you take the gun home.

Like I said. I haven't heard of this being challenged in court, so until then....hope you don't need a lawyer to find out the answer to your question.
    “The legal argument could be made that if they allow you to remove the primer to take the gun into your truck to go from one spot to another while hunting...and that is considered 'unloaded' ....what has changed at the end of the day when you take the gun home.”

When you take the gun home it becomes a question of legal storage. To legally stored a muzzle loader in your home, it must be free of percussion cap, powder, any wadding and projectile. Then render inoperable with some form of security, i.e. a trigger lock etc.

You don’t stop hunting because you grow old. You grow old because you stop hunting.
    - Gun Nut
    Last edited by Gun Nut; December 5th, 2018 at 11:54 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123