Thread: Biosecurity Advisory for Wild Turkey Hunters and Others

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Default Biosecurity Advisory for Wild Turkey Hunters and Others

I stumbled on this at an Ontario poultry forum.

Looks like there has been some confirmed Avian Influenza in a US commercial poultry farm, within migratory bird travel corridors this spring (H7N9, but not the same H7N9 that affecting people in China).
    OMAFRA has issued some advisories for Wild Turkey Hunters, as well as poultry producers/small flock owners in light of this avoided outbreak, and the H5N2 strains that were found last two years in the Southern US, including wild bird populations.

The link to the turkey hunting advisory is here:
    https://www.ontariochicken.ca/getatt...ers-and-O.aspx

Other advisories or Avian Influenza releases are here:
    https://www.ontariochicken.ca/News-E...AI_Update.aspx
    CSSA Member
    CCFR Member

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

YIKES!!!!!!!!

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Sortta takes all the fun out of it. Like really, really, really safe sex.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

This has been happening for the past few years, with CFAI setting up Avian Influenza Control Zones in Ontario. Last year it halted all shipments of 'day old' chicks and poults from traveling thru the zones to the distribution centres.

I haven't heard/read of any wild Turkeys being found infected, but then most guys would probably just dump the carcass if the bird looked sick and walk away before they would report it.

Good thread, remind guys to do the right thing and report a sick looking bird, it will help the poultry farmers in the area.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    Sortta takes all the fun out of it. Like really, really, really safe sex.
    LOL.

No Glove, No Dindon.
    CSSA Member
    CCFR Member

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    This has been happening for the past few years, with CFAI setting up Avian Influenza Control Zones in Ontario. Last year it halted all shipments of 'day old' chicks and poults from traveling thru the zones to the distribution centres.

I haven't heard/read of any wild Turkeys being found infected, but then most guys would probably just dump the carcass if the bird looked sick and walk away before they would report it.

Good thread, remind guys to do the right thing and report a sick looking bird, it will help the poultry farmers in the area.
    And I happened to find out about it after agreeing to set up a wild duck nest on my property. I'll still do it, but I think I will make sure it is set far enough away from my coop and runs.
    CSSA Member
    CCFR Member

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post

My son had a turkey that had green meat. He tagged it then realized it wasn't edible. Sent it to U of Guelph for analysis. Turns out it had run itself upon to either a barbed wire fence or hawthornes and developed a systemic infection. Problem was the tag won't be replaced by MNR so you're right Mike, I bet some guys just ditch the bird and move on. Tag in hand!