Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30

Thread: Still scratching my head. Where to go for moose hunt.

  1. #1
    Loyal Member

    User Info Menu

    Default Still scratching my head. Where to go for moose hunt.

    Hey all..
    So we pulled stakes two years ago, and took a break last year..Yeah, numbers and guaranteed groups look bleak.

    However, 15A,B 16A,B,C and 18A,B look like decent group sizes, and doable at our end...
    So what's the catch?
    Are these areas inaccessible? No logging going on?
    Is it the same situation as 21A, in where they're allowing WAAAYYY to many tags?

    Any help would be great.
    Thanks.

  2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT
     

  3. #2
    Needs a new keyboard

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Call PETA, they'll tell you where to get tags!

  4. #3
    Loyal Member

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Sorry jim..
    I don't get it...Is that an inside joke?
    I've been away from the forums for a while..

  5. #4
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pijetro View Post
    Hey all..
    So we pulled stakes two years ago, and took a break last year..Yeah, numbers and guaranteed groups look bleak.

    However, 15A,B 16A,B,C and 18A,B look like decent group sizes, and doable at our end...
    So what's the catch?
    Are these areas inaccessible? No logging going on?
    Is it the same situation as 21A, in where they're allowing WAAAYYY to many tags?

    Any help would be great.
    Thanks.
    You said that you "took a break" last year. I hope you still bought licenses. If not,you'll be Pool 2 hunters this year making it difficult to get adult tags,but,you never know,you could have a stroke of luck. The allocation system is so screwed up,anything can happen. Remember,the calf season has been reduced to a 2 week period. If your group doesn't get at least one adult tag,your entire group will be ineligible to hunt outside the 2 week period. You have less than one week to apply for an adult tag as a group. Really,if I were you,I'd be thinking Quebec or Manitoba. Good luck.
    Last edited by trimmer21; May 22nd, 2017 at 08:29 AM.
    When I was younger,I blew half a fortune on whisky and wild women. The rest I just wasted.

  6. #5
    Apprentice

    User Info Menu

    Default

    21a is a show, way too many tags and hunters in an area that doesn't seem to have many moose(I wonder why since tags and pressure has been crazy for last 5-7years)
    "Life is full of wonderful opportunities brilliantly disguised as insolvable problems."

  7. #6
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Campbery View Post
    21a is a show, way too many tags and hunters in an area that doesn't seem to have many moose(I wonder why since tags and pressure has been crazy for last 5-7years)
    Funny how that's working,isn't it? There's lots of tags in areas where there aren't any Moose,but,far fewer year to year in areas where there are. What a complete crock of shyte this is turning out to be.
    When I was younger,I blew half a fortune on whisky and wild women. The rest I just wasted.

  8. #7
    Loyal Member

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trimmer21 View Post
    You said that you "took a break" last year. I hope you still bought licenses. If not,you'll be Pool 2 hunters this year making it difficult to get adult tags,but,you never know,you could have a stroke of luck. The allocation system is so screwed up,anything can happen. Remember,the calf season has been reduced to a 2 week period. If your group doesn't get at least one adult tag,your entire group will be ineligible to hunt outside the 2 week period. You have less than one week to apply for an adult tag as a group. Really,if I were you,I'd be thinking Quebec or Manitoba. Good luck.
    Yes. We kept up with the license.
    Just a side note. We've been camping in 21a for 4 years. Since we've pulled stakes, I suggested perhaps a lodge stay in a new area. New areas being 15-16..
    I personally don't know anybody that hunts there to give advice.

    Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

  9. #8
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pijetro View Post
    Yes. We kept up with the license.
    Just a side note. We've been camping in 21a for 4 years. Since we've pulled stakes, I suggested perhaps a lodge stay in a new area. New areas being 15-16..
    I personally don't know anybody that hunts there to give advice.

    Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk
    I'll suggest a camping/fishing week or two through the summer and drop in to the local watering hole (Legion branch) to chat up the folks. Failing that,find a local guide or outfitter and pick their brains. Honestly,besides going on specific scouting trips during some holidays, that's what worked for me on a couple of unguided camping/backpacking hunts back when. Man,do I ever miss those days. WMU15 will be a tall order to do under a week,though,unless you have a buddy who's a pilot.
    Last edited by trimmer21; May 22nd, 2017 at 07:25 PM.
    When I was younger,I blew half a fortune on whisky and wild women. The rest I just wasted.

  10. #9
    Loyal Member

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Thanks trimmer. Our other option was applying individually in Chapleau, and come what may.

    If nobody gets selected for Bull or Cow, it gives me another week of deer and clay shooting within a 10k radius of my house. ☺

    Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

  11. #10
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pijetro View Post
    Thanks trimmer. Our other option was applying individually in Chapleau, and come what may.

    If nobody gets selected for Bull or Cow, it gives me another week of deer and clay shooting within a 10k radius of my house. ☺

    Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk
    Yep,and you can always take Bear tags,too.
    When I was younger,I blew half a fortune on whisky and wild women. The rest I just wasted.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •