Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Still scratching my head. Where to go for moose hunt.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Default Still scratching my head. Where to go for moose hunt.

Hey all..
    So we pulled stakes two years ago, and took a break last year..Yeah, numbers and guaranteed groups look bleak.

However, 15A,B 16A,B,C and 18A,B look like decent group sizes, and doable at our end...
    So what's the catch?
    Are these areas inaccessible? No logging going on?
    Is it the same situation as 21A, in where they're allowing WAAAYYY to many tags?

Any help would be great.
    Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Call PETA, they'll tell you where to get tags!

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Sorry jim..
    I don't get it...Is that an inside joke?
    I've been away from the forums for a while..

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pijetro View Post
    Hey all..
    So we pulled stakes two years ago, and took a break last year..Yeah, numbers and guaranteed groups look bleak.

However, 15A,B 16A,B,C and 18A,B look like decent group sizes, and doable at our end...
    So what's the catch?
    Are these areas inaccessible? No logging going on?
    Is it the same situation as 21A, in where they're allowing WAAAYYY to many tags?

Any help would be great.
    Thanks.
    You said that you "took a break" last year. I hope you still bought licenses. If not,you'll be Pool 2 hunters this year making it difficult to get adult tags,but,you never know,you could have a stroke of luck. The allocation system is so screwed up,anything can happen. Remember,the calf season has been reduced to a 2 week period. If your group doesn't get at least one adult tag,your entire group will be ineligible to hunt outside the 2 week period. You have less than one week to apply for an adult tag as a group. Really,if I were you,I'd be thinking Quebec or Manitoba. Good luck.
    Last edited by trimmer21; May 22nd, 2017 at 08:29 AM.
    When I was younger,I blew half a fortune on whisky and wild women. The rest I just wasted.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

21a is a show, way too many tags and hunters in an area that doesn't seem to have many moose(I wonder why since tags and pressure has been crazy for last 5-7years)
    "Life is full of wonderful opportunities brilliantly disguised as insolvable problems."

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Campbery View Post
    21a is a show, way too many tags and hunters in an area that doesn't seem to have many moose(I wonder why since tags and pressure has been crazy for last 5-7years)
    Funny how that's working,isn't it? There's lots of tags in areas where there aren't any Moose,but,far fewer year to year in areas where there are. What a complete crock of shyte this is turning out to be.
    When I was younger,I blew half a fortune on whisky and wild women. The rest I just wasted.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trimmer21 View Post
    You said that you "took a break" last year. I hope you still bought licenses. If not,you'll be Pool 2 hunters this year making it difficult to get adult tags,but,you never know,you could have a stroke of luck. The allocation system is so screwed up,anything can happen. Remember,the calf season has been reduced to a 2 week period. If your group doesn't get at least one adult tag,your entire group will be ineligible to hunt outside the 2 week period. You have less than one week to apply for an adult tag as a group. Really,if I were you,I'd be thinking Quebec or Manitoba. Good luck.
    Yes. We kept up with the license.
    Just a side note. We've been camping in 21a for 4 years. Since we've pulled stakes, I suggested perhaps a lodge stay in a new area. New areas being 15-16..
    I personally don't know anybody that hunts there to give advice.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Yes. We kept up with the license.
    Just a side note. We've been camping in 21a for 4 years. Since we've pulled stakes, I suggested perhaps a lodge stay in a new area. New areas being 15-16..
    I personally don't know anybody that hunts there to give advice.

I'll suggest a camping/fishing week or two through the summer and drop in to the local watering hole (Legion branch) to chat up the folks. Failing that,find a local guide or outfitter and pick their brains. Honestly,besides going on specific scouting trips during some holidays, that's what worked for me on a couple of unguided camping/backpacking hunts back when. Man,do I ever miss those days. WMU15 will be a tall order to do under a week,though,unless you have a buddy who's a pilot.
    Last edited by trimmer21; May 22nd, 2017 at 07:25 PM.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Thanks trimmer. Our other option was applying individually in Chapleau, and come what may.

If nobody gets selected for Bull or Cow, it gives me another week of deer and clay shooting within a 10k radius of my house. ☺

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Thanks trimmer. Our other option was applying individually in Chapleau, and come what may.

If nobody gets selected for Bull or Cow, it gives me another week of deer and clay shooting within a 10k radius of my house. ☺

Yep,and you can always take Bear tags,too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast