Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Benjamin Airbow : Is it legal in Ontario?

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Default Benjamin Airbow : Is it legal in Ontario?

Just watched some video's on this product.
    Are they legal here yet?
    ------------------------------------------
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Sounds like prohibited in Canada, due to the bullpup stock.

[COLOR=#282E22][COLOR=#FFFFCC]12-21-2016, 08:43 AMStresd
    Arsie

Join DateMay 2006LocationSurrey , B.C.Posts1,047

[COLOR=#282E22]Re: Benjamin pioneer airbow legal?

Seem to remember reading that the RCMP had classed it as bullpup and prohibited
    found these

ontario outdoors:

[COLOR=#333333]know this is an older post but i emailed the rcmp and this is the answer
    [COLOR=#333333]Good day,
    [COLOR=#333333]in answer to your question the Benjamin Pioneer Airbow is classified as a rifle.

[COLOR=#333333]This rifle is Prohibited in Canada under the definition of "Prohibited Device" in "Part III/Firearms and Other Weapons" of Section 84 of the Criminal Code of Canada having a bullpup stock.

[COLOR=#333333]Hope this help.

Mario Lussier
    Firearm Technology Unit / Groupe de la technologie des armes à feu
    Royal Canadian Mounted Police / Gendarmerie royale du Canada Canadian Firearms Program / Programme canadien des armes à feu 1-800-731-4000 ext/poste: 1090 (ENG), 1091 (FRE)

and CGN

[COLOR=#FFFFFF]04-07-2016, 03:38 PM
    [COLOR=#3E3E3E][COLOR=#ECF2E6]Gpion

NewbieJoin DateApr 2016Posts4Feedback Score

[COLOR=#333333]The Benjamin Pioneer as just been classed prohibited by the RCMP because it is Bull-Pup

what a shame very disappointed

Last edited by rick_iles; May 17th, 2017 at 12:40 PM.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

According to the company site they say the RCMP classify it as a crossbow.
    Their words not mine.

" Question: peter from Canada asked:

since it is an air rifle. isn't required to shoot 500 ft per second to be able to hunt with. I hope I am wrong . looks great

Answer: Andy from Canada:

It is already "Classified" as a Crosssbow by the RCMP here in Canada, because it Doesn't Shoot above 500fps As soon as I found out the GOOD News I already "pre-purchased" mine, along with 6 extra Arrows/Bolts,,,,,It already has a muzzle velocity exceeding the best Crossbows in the Business,. My Barnett Panzer V that I use for Deer, is getting a "Break" for this Falls Deer Season,,The Benjamin has it beat in the Velocity dept,. by 240fps, and 305 ft/lbs in the M/E dept,.,,,,,,Should make for an Interesting, and much better Hunt this year!"

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Even if the RCMP classifies it as a crossbow it doesn't mean Ontario classifies it as a crossbow for hunting purposes.
    I'd do some research before jumping to conclusions.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Interesting device but in my mind it is not an archery product. Needs limbs to store energy and a string to transfer the energy. This thing, while cool, is an airgun that fires arrows.

Some will say a crossbow is not archery either but other than the release a crossbow has far more in common with a trad bow than an airgun or rifle.

I feel like Woodsman's comment is correct and that regardless of the RCMP stance the province will say it is an airgun and not a bow.

Edit:

There is an older thread here:

https://www.oodmag.com/community/sho...Air-Bow)/page4

Last post backs Rick's thoughts about it being prohib.
    Last edited by Species8472; May 17th, 2017 at 03:01 PM.
    They say a man turns old when sorrow and regret take the place of hope and dreams

Apprentice

User Info Menu

no but it should be
    it delivers a bolt in a very similar method as a crossbow. so if a crossbow is legal for archery season so should an airbow

basically if it gets more people into the woods to grow the sport its a good thing

Dan

Apprentice

User Info Menu

In these times of progress, we will see a lot of new inventions and innovations.
    Sure, it's not a cross bow.
    Basically it is an airgun.
    Who cares.
    Open your minds and stop sounding old fashion.
    I think it is a great idea and should be openly considered a legal big game hunting weapon through out North America.
    ------------------------------------------
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by myot View Post
    no but it should be
    it delivers a bolt in a very similar method as a crossbow. so if a crossbow is legal for archery season so should an airbow

basically if it gets more people into the woods to grow the sport its a good thing

Dan
    This thing is nothing like a crossbow, except that it fires an arrow. The arrow is hollow and is slipped over a tube. The air charge propells the arrow. Closer to a blow gun than a crossbow IMO.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RHYBAK View Post
    In these times of progress, we will see a lot of new inventions and innovations.
    Who cares.
    I think it is a great idea and should be openly considered a legal big game hunting weapon through out North America.
    Apparently the RCMP don't share your opinion. Before I put any money into one, I'd check with the RCMP myself, as well as the MNRF. If it has in fact been designated prohibited, it won't even get into the country.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RHYBAK View Post
    Who cares.
    My mind is open - my comments were how I think the regulators will view it - nothing about whether I think it should be legal.

Frankly i could care less what method/tool is used as long as the animal hunted is killed humanely and the resource is managed properly.

The original question was whether it's legal. My take is probably not. Should it be? As long as it is safe, humane and doesn't jeopardize the resource than sure it probably should be.

What category/method should it be classed than becomes the next logical question. IMO it should fall in with airguns.
    Last edited by Species8472; May 17th, 2017 at 03:21 PM.
    They say a man turns old when sorrow and regret take the place of hope and dreams

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast