Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bear attacks bowhunter - hearst, ont - may 17, 2017

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by parkcity View Post
    no doubt it does, caliber isn't the issue. The question is if you can ready your gun and hit them in a place where it will anchor them under life threatening pressure... if you have the confidence to be accurate with a firearm while a 200+ lb animal is charging you then you're much more calm cool and collected than I.

if you read the abstract from the 2008 research paper written, it was found that in 7% (5 of 71) of cases wind affected the accuracy of the bear spray but all instances the spray still reached the bear. Provided they do not site the intensity of the wind, but if 100% of the spray uses still hit the bear, albeit in a somewhat limited capacity, i'll take the spray.
    I was young and fearless when it happened to me,it was too quick to be scared,you know,16,ten feet tall and bullet proof? I'm still fearless,but, a whole lot smarter.......some say.LOL
    I like my firearms like Liberals like voters-----undocumented.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rick_iles View Post
    PROVIDING...the wind is in the right direction ! As Trimmer said, if not the hunter becomes "well seasoned".
    If you're actively stalking the bear then 99.9% chance the wind, and bear spray, will be in your face. Otherwise you're probably not going to get close to the bear.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
    Rob

CSSA/CFFR/OFAH

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SK33T3R View Post
    BEAR SPRAY FOR ME!

I would prefer bear spray over any caliber gun for an up close encounter. A wounded bear still has his rage and can still outthink and outmaneuver even a trained gun handler. Add in thick vegetation. Most hunters are not as fast as they think they are! Spray will almost instantly blind and disorient the attacker. I've tracked wounded bears at night from Thunder Bay to Chapleau to Orillia. Our safety didn't hinge on the bear but whoever was carrying the GUN getting shot in the confusion. Now we only bring ONE gun just to dispatch and everyone else wears hunter orange and has bear spray.
    All you gunslingers are just scaring new guys and are seeding their minds for a disaster. I've had bear spray get me twice and it's not fun but I'm still alive and bear spray will wash off. Bullets don't wash off!

Too many gunslingers watching too many Rambo movies!

Get bear spray!
    I have a friend who makes his living guiding Americans and when he is tracking no hunters are allowed guns period for fear of getting himself or his clients shot. This was good advice but if we hit a bear at night we track the next day. But hunting bears from the ground is not for me. Tree stand and bear spray and backup gun for bears if crap hits the fan. Baiting we use bear spray and make noise. He has been charged but most times the bears will bluff charge. He guides in Thunder Bay and they have a lot of bears up there.
    Last edited by pbonura; May 25th, 2017 at 06:11 PM.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bowj View Post
    he sounds and appears native to me (i could be wrong). do they have different hunter orange restrictions? or maybe on reserve land?
    i don find it odd that he doesnt have a broadhead, but maybe it is mechanical and we cannot tell from the video....
    THIS SHOULD COVER THE HUNTER ORANGE REQUIREMENT.

AND YES HE WAS HUNTING BEARS

Hats off to him for going about it using traditional equipment! I like this guy!

Capture.JPG
    If you keep doing what you've always done. You'll keep getting what you've always got!
    Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I read on another news feed where he stated he was bear hunting. So native hunters don't have to abide by the hunter orange rule? I thought that was a stipulation to ensure the safety of ALL hunters, not just non-native.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/video-s...bear-1.3431293
    "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." Ernest Benn

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

I always bring along my 44 mag mare leg , that's my back up while bow hunting.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Does anyone see any broadheads there? He may have been rabbit hunting with his bow and not actually bear hunting.

Bear spray though is probably not a bad idea.
    Post look familiar from the Big Game thread?

Originally Posted by MikePal
    More than likely he was small game hunting and stumbled upon the beer, or should I say the beer stumbled upon him

Fox - Sure looks like a broad head there, not sure what small game you would be hunting with broad heads.

It is interesting that he sees the bear, crouches down, nocks an arrow, stays low while the bear approaches.

In my head if he were actually trying to avoid the bear, not trying to hunt it, he would be making noise when he first spotted the bear at a distance rather than what he did.

I think he was bear hunting with a bow, he could have also carried a gun, not a handgun but a short shotgun or a mares leg would be very legal in Canada and more hitting power than most handguns you would be using in the US.

My apologies to everyone in advance for a potential thread hijacking . . . I couldn't resist.
    Last edited by toddy; January 18th, 2019 at 10:38 AM.
    Things that fly turn me on

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by toddy View Post
    Post look familiar from the Big Game thread?

Originally Posted by MikePal
    More than likely he was small game hunting and stumbled upon the beer, or should I say the beer stumbled upon him

Fox - Sure looks like a broad head there, not sure what small game you would be hunting with broad heads.

It is interesting that he sees the bear, crouches down, nocks an arrow, stays low while the bear approaches.

In my head if he were actually trying to avoid the bear, not trying to hunt it, he would be making noise when he first spotted the bear at a distance rather than what he did.

I think he was bear hunting with a bow, he could have also carried a gun, not a handgun but a short shotgun or a mares leg would be very legal in Canada and more hitting power than most handguns you would be using in the US.

My apologies to everyone in advance for a potential thread hijacking . . . I couldn't resist.
    This is actually the original thread back from 2017

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    This is actually the original thread back from 2017
    Oh. Than I regress slightly . . .
    Things that fly turn me on

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Hi i am new to the bow hunting , well returning really, haven't done in a long time. I am interested in any info you have on trying bear hunting with a bow for an old guy like me by myself. Where do you go in Ontario? Are you using an outfitter? What type of bait are you using? How to select a location for baiting? What height do you hang your sands at? Thank you.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123