Thread: Carlsen's Longbeard XR choke tube.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Default Carlsen's Longbeard XR choke tube.

Back in March I found myself in a Cabelas in the U.S. All the turkey stuff was out in it's glory so I had to get a few items. One was a Carlsen's Longbeard XR choke tube. Advertised to be specifically tailored for Winchester's Longbeard XR ammo. So I'll share the results of my patterning tests prior to this years turkey season.

The targets were Primos shotgun patterning turkey targets. I believe I got them at Canadian Tire. I patterned 2 shotguns at 40 yrds.. Here's the results.

Gun #1...Benelli Nova 12 gauge. 24" barrel.......135 pellets in 7" circle; 65 hits on the image of turkey head and neck.

Gun #2...Stoeger M3500. 28" barrel....170 pellets in 7" circle; 63 hits on the image of turkey head and neck.

My previous turkey choke tube of choice was a Pure Gold brand. I fired a shot through it during the same session and got these results.

Stoeger M3500. 28" barrel.....108 pellets in 7" circle;44 hits on the image of turkey head and neck.

Now the Pure Gold choke has taken many turkeys for me, but I like the results from the Carlsens very much. That being said I bagged 2 turkeys this spring, the farthest shot was 30 yrds. The other was 8. I'm sure factory full tubes would have worked on either bird, but I can't stop buying when it comes to turkey stuff! Or duck stuff for that matter. Just thought I'd share.

By the way, The ammo used was Winchester Longbeard XR 12 gauge 3.5" #6.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

I bought the carlsons longbeard choke for my wife's 870 20g and definitely got better results with it over the pure gold I already had. I was not able to get my hands on any of the longbeard 20g shells to try it out but with kents, winchester XX and a few others I was seeing better results than with the pure gold. Kents being the top performer. A buddy has 2 boxes of 20g longbeards for me so I'm hoping for even better results with them once I get my hands on them. He tried some of the longbeards in his sons 20g setup and had better results than with the kents and XX's so I'm confident my wife's pattern will improve with them but only testing them will tell the tale.
    I love fishing but REALLY it is just a way to pass time until hunting season!!!!

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Any body know the numbers on the long beard choke. I hear it is a little more open them other turkey chokes

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Mine is .650 for Beretta/Benelli Mobile choke.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Dutch, the Carlsons longbeard for the 20g 870 is .568, I believe the pure gold I had was a .570. When I ordered the pure gold I asked for the .555 but the .570 is what they sent me..........
    I love fishing but REALLY it is just a way to pass time until hunting season!!!!