Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ulterra Minn Kota

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Default Ulterra Minn Kota

Question for you out there who own one. I just received the 120 with all the gizmo for my bday, thanks darling , but I won't be able to install it until the snow is gone so I'd like to know a few things to be ready:
    - What should I use to recharge the batteries? I'm sure there are some onboard charger I could buy but I don't know nothing about it.
    - I currently have two Lowrance HDS & Elite but it seems like I won't be able to use some of the Ulterra advantage unless I have a Hummingbird. Is someone could confirm?
    - What would be a good Hummingbird sonar to buy without breaking the bank? 600$max.

Thanks in advance,
    Seabast

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Congratulations seabast it's a great unit.
    First make sure you have the right mounting bracket. I went through great lengths to trough bolt it with SS BOLTS and nuts as the unit is relative heavy and you can't trust regular wood screws to hold securely. Then get a good padlock to secure Ulterra to bracket. These units are in high demand as I discovered.....
    I have a 24v unit hooked up to 2 HD GOLF CART batteries which I charge with a 2 bank 10 amp intelligent marine charger
    Which is sufficient if you keep your boat at home. I have to upgrade to 20amp as my boat stays at the camp now and needs to be charged by generator which takes forever with the 10 amp unit
    I use now my iPad with a a Sonarphone WiFi fish finder and navionics for boating software. The Sonarphone also allows you to use your smartphone on your wrist anywhere on the boat. A great set up for less money provided you have a tablet and or smartphone. Actually anyone with a smartphone on your boat can get the signal after downloading the free Sonarphone software.
    I will hook up the transducer of my minnkota to my old Lowrance
    Until I can afford a better unit.
    I am glad I have 60" shaft and I mark different depht settings with aluminum tape slivers in the groove of the shafts. I love the ipilot function
    You are a lucky man having a wife like that, my ex would have taken off with the dough instead.LOL

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I wondering if there is charger that could charge all three batteries when the main engine is running and also used to charge them when I get home?

I also just realised that only a few lake maps work with the I pilot link, not the Navionic map for example....

Just starting out

User Info Menu

You are correct seabast
    I like to clarify that I use the navionics US and Canada HD in conjunction with my iPad and the Vexilar Sonarphone as a workaround until such time that I can afford a Hummingbird and maybe lakemaster charts. But my setup works so well in Georgian Bay that I did not really pursue this yet
    As for the batteries, I have a automatic switch that charges the starting battery first and then the accessory battery from the engine (separate circuit from trolling batteries)
    I am not sure what make it is and if these switches are available to control more then one additional battery as I am not anywhere near my boat right now
    But I can let you know next week if you wish

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I don't think any of the map that would work with I pilot link and HB cover Canada at all. Kind of a disappointment....

I was looking at a Onboard batteries charger and I have the feeling that all the batteries need to be disconnected from each other to be able to be charged. (that trolling motor runs on 36v, so 3 batteries on series) I really have to go talk to someone to one of the big store to get more information.....

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Seabast, you are a lucky man, you had better keep that one. I go in Monday to have mine put on the boat (at my cost). Mine is a 80# 45", 24V system so I'm having them install a 2 bank charger from minni kota. I just asked this question on another post, but twice is better then once, maybe. Can you use a hummingbird FF on the front and a Loweranc on the back?

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=sabmgb;1019959]Seabast, you are a lucky man, you had better keep that one. I go in Monday to have mine put on the boat (at my cost). Mine is a 80# 45", 24V system so I'm having them install a 2 bank charger from minni kota. I just asked this question on another post, but twice is better then once, maybe. Can you use a hummingbird FF on the front and a Loweranc on the back?[/QUOTE]

If both are ON at the same time you will have interference, beside that I don't see why you couldn't. Two sonars with two transducer....

I'm lucky but she should have paid for the install too!!

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Well so much for using mini kota web site to size motor. Have to send it back to get the next size up and out of stock now.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=seabast;1019978]
    Quote Originally Posted by sabmgb View Post
    Seabast, you are a lucky man, you had better keep that one. I go in Monday to have mine put on the boat (at my cost). Mine is a 80# 45", 24V system so I'm having them install a 2 bank charger from minni kota. I just asked this question on another post, but twice is better then once, maybe. Can you use a hummingbird FF on the front and a Loweranc on the back?[/QUOTE]

If both are ON at the same time you will have interference, beside that I don't see why you couldn't. Two sonars with two transducer....

I'm lucky but she should have paid for the install too!!
    The new Chirp technology runs at different Hz ranges than older finders, I'm putting a Lowrance Hook 9 at the back and moving my Elite 5 HDS to the front and was assured they would set the frequencies to avoid interference when both on. You can get 3 bank on board chargers for 36V systems. I think the type of batteries used for the troller do better with a discharge and then full recharge than trying to hook into your main motor's alternator and partial charge when driving. A 36V system should easily get you through more than 1 full days fishing

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=be2man;1021498]
    Quote Originally Posted by seabast View Post

The new Chirp technology runs at different Hz ranges than older finders, I'm putting a Lowrance Hook 9 at the back and moving my Elite 5 HDS to the front and was assured they would set the frequencies to avoid interference when both on. You can get 3 bank on board chargers for 36V systems. I think the type of batteries used for the troller do better with a discharge and then full recharge than trying to hook into your main motor's alternator and partial charge when driving. A 36V system should easily get you through more than 1 full days fishing
    Do I need to disconnect the battery in series to recharge them?
    Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast