Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finished the new dock

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Default Finished the new dock

We bought this place just before Christmas last year and after the snow and ice melted off we discovered the dock had some serious ice damage. So this year the major project has been replacing most of the dock and repairing whatever could be salvaged.

Essentially the only things that were saved was a portion of the decking from the shoreline deck area and some of the old crib timbers. We removed the two existing support cribs and replaced them with four new larger cribs and filled with 5 tons of rock each (20 tons of rock total). Additionally we interconnected all the cribs so they act as one unit and anchored them to the bedrock using red-head rock anchors. Fairly certain this should hold up for a good number of years as the old system lasted 17 years according to my nearest neighbour. The deck is 16x16 and the dock itself is 24 feet by 8 feet on floating PE pontoons. It is connected to the shore deck by a hinged floating (PE pontoons) 8 foot wide by 12 foot long ramp. The end of the dock is about 44 feet from shore in about 6 feet of water. Floating sections are anchored to 4 x 350 lb concrete anchors.

About 3/4s of the way out looking back at shore:

From the view above I own 1000 feet of shore to the right and 2200 feet to left. The property size is 117 acres and backs onto 10,000+ acres of crown on 2 sides.

View of the dock from shore:

View of some of the ice damage discovered this spring:

The old design only had two cribs instead of four and a portion of the deck was cantilevered over the water. Once the snow and ice melted we could see that the design was not ideal as the 2 cribs were not connected and were not anchored to the bedrock.

Now I just have to wait until next year as new boat(s) are not in this years budget. So for this season the only thing that will be tied up are canoes and a kayak.
    Last edited by Species8472; July 10th, 2017 at 12:03 AM.
    They say a man turns old when sorrow and regret take the place of hope and dreams

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Hedgehog

User Info Menu

Nice Job, I think ( on our lake anyway ) when people where building docks 20-30 years ago maybe the biggest boat on the lake was a 50 hp motor, now you have the wake boats and such and they do a ton of damage to docks. we have had times when these boats have come by and actually bounced boats onto the dock so can only image what they are doing to the dock supports.. sounds like a nice bit of property, enjoy.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Very nice piece of property, good job on the deck too
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Sweet setup. Let the fun begin.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Nice job, looks great

Member for Life

User Info Menu

You have a beautiful spot there,Species. Do the bottom two sections detach for winter storage and how do you get them back up on shore without tearing up the pontoons? They look like they weigh a lot.
    Society needs to stop bending to the will of the delusional.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trimmer21 View Post
    You have a beautiful spot there,Species. Do the bottom two sections detach for winter storage and how do you get them back up on shore without tearing up the pontoons? They look like they weigh a lot.
    The ramp has four hinges (two at each end). The plan is to pull the the hinge pins at the low end and than with the pins still in place at the top (taking half of the weight) two guys lift the low end of the ramp above the lower dock section and slide the dock under the ramp. Than pull the upper pins and drop the ramp onto the dock. Floating dock with ramp on top (ramp get ratchet strapped to dock cleats) gets towed around the corner into a small protected bay for the winter. The pontoons can handle normal freeze/thaw cycles. As the ice freezes the pressure pops the pontoons up onto the top of the ice surface.
    They say a man turns old when sorrow and regret take the place of hope and dreams

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

looks awesome species!
    Did you do the crib work your self? Was it difficult or pricey? will be needed to do the same a Type of work at our cottage that's why I'm asking...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kokes View Post
    looks awesome species!
    Did you do the crib work your self? Was it difficult or pricey? will be needed to do the same a Type of work at our cottage that's why I'm asking...
    I have a buddy that builds docks based out of Temagami that helped out. Was not that difficult - just a lot of work. Spent about 10K all in. I suspect if you just hired the whole works out you'd be looking at about 15K. It also helps that I have a my own boat launch on the property plus I have a 25 foot float trailer and a backhoe. We used the backhoe to get the dock and ramp off the trailer and than the launch and backhoe to get the the floating sections in the water with the concrete anchors on top of the dock and than towed the works into place.
    Last edited by Species8472; July 10th, 2017 at 06:02 PM.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

That's great looking work! looks very sturdy - you should get many years of use out of it. Congrats on the new place - property looks really nice from the lake.

FishFrenzy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast