Thread: How ? to Mount Combination Side Scan / 2D Sonar / Down Image Transducer

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default How ? to Mount Combination Side Scan / 2D Sonar / Down Image Transducer

Hi, I'm looking for your thoughts on the following method to install a large transducer on a transom? I am considering bolting a piece of 1" x 6" x 18" Trex composite deck board onto my 16Ft Misty River aluminum transom on which I will mount the 11" long Lowrance Elite Ti transducer . ( This will allow me to move it around , drilling mounting holes in the board ,to find the sweet spot with the least water surface turbulence and best signal ) I am considering trying to smooth the double row of rivets on the trailing edge of the hull beneath the transom with JB Weld epoxy , and dropping the planed flat edge of the Trex board so that it is level with the bottom of the boat thus creating a smooth trailing edge with hopefully less water /air turbulence and a better sonar signal.The 1 " thick Trex is much denser than cutting board like material. The boat sits on a trailer most nights. I don't believe the Trex absorbs an appreciable amount of moisture. I figured I would use 6 - S.S. bolts and seal the holes and the back of the board with Marine silicone. The 2 lb transducer is supported by a stainless steel frame but could apply considerable force on the 2- 1" screws which will secure it to the Trex board.I am also considering mounting it on the port ( left) side even though some say there may be prop wash with bubbles at low speed on that side causing poor sonar signal when using the outboard motor) I have read that the hinging bolts securing the transducer steel support to the slotted steel transom mount have a history of loosening on this model , adversely affecting the alignment and direction of the sonar signal and quality of the on screen display. I was told to obtain some specialized star shaped stainless lock washers to stop that loosening from occurring. I would appreciate any thoughts or experiences you might have with transom mounting these large transducers . Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

I wouldnt use the Trex. Trex is laminated and the inside core is exposed when you cut it. It will delaminate and break down when its submerged.
    Any marine supply will sell the tranducer mounting plate. I have one and it works well.
    https://www.amazon.com/Rig-Rite-925-.../dp/B00ZX01YOS
    You can also use a piece of Phenolic plastic if you have access to it.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

go to Cdn tire or Walmart and buy a white plastic cutting board and cut to size, use that in place of your trex board.