Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for a decent Spinning reel

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

I have many of the brands mentioned above but my favorite is my daiwa.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Daiwa BG reel in a 2500 or 3000. For $129 it's probably the best reel available for the price. I have one and I would compare it too a high end daiwa or Shimano triple the cost. Look it up. It's classified as a salt water reel so its a little on the heavy side (around 9 oz not too bad) but it's one heck of the reel for the money. I will be replacing all my spinning reels with this reel over the next few seasons. Great work horse reel especially if it's going to be the only reel you have. Check it out
    Follow me on Instagram at ONE_TRACC_MIND

Apprentice

User Info Menu

I bought a Shimano Stradic about 3 years ago. It's the best reel I've had. Loaded with 10 lb power pro and works great. They may be a little overpriced, but I don't regret buying it.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

I have had various spinning reals in various sizes and I have found that the ones a few years older and NOT made in China last alot longer, the drag doesn't jump and the bail works smoothly. The trick I use is Kijiji and occasionally e-bay IF I know the model and the seller has a very high rating. Ryobi, Mitchell, Diawa, Shakespeare, Pfleuger, Shimano, Penn .... in that order of preference, all have had things I liked or didn't like about them, some better than other.

There are several that are good buys on here, BUT:
    1) always double check the price, I have seen $30 reels being sold by idiots for $300 and have bought $200+ reels for $30 because they just wanted to get rid of it.
    2) tighten and loosen the drag a few times testing it is good and check that the bail closes and locks down correctly. A broken gear means you bought parts not a reel.
    If your location is right there isn't much point really at looking at this unless you have a friend that can pick it up for you.
    https://www.kijiji.ca/b-ontario/new-...g-reel/k0l9004

You may be stuck looking at ebay but you should double check their rating and the exact reel you want.... Cabelas has some sails now and again and I have never tried their home brand reels but they SEEM to have good ratings....
    Watch for sales is an option too, Cabelas.
    http://www.cabelas.ca/category/fresh...ning-reels/635
    Ebay you really have to watch, if they are from the US and the ad says "Customs services and international tracking provided", skip it!!! Canada Post usually doesn't charge the duty and custom fees and is far less than the ebay "Global Shipping Program", it is nothing more that a rip off! I would search the spinning reels based on where they are made like Japan, France, USA since there are so many (and so much junk too).... occasionally there is even an old reel that was made in Canada if you collect at all.
    https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_from...n+usa&_sacat=0

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Mosquito - Its interesting that you mention Ryobi as your first choice. Years back I had a ultra light Ryobi reel that was fantastic. I bought it at the defunt Outdoor Store (first big box store). I had it on a short little browning carbon rod. I lost it one night at a cottage on the Moon River. The rod was resting on the deck railing during the night and was hit by lightning. Rocked the whole cottage and everyone flying out of bed. Next morning I checked my 2 piece rod. The end piece had shot off never to be found. The bottom portion of the rod basically exploded with the reel heat damaged beyond further use. I think Ryobi stopped making them because I could never find another. I have always liked Ryobi products since then.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Roper View Post
    Mosquito - Its interesting that you mention Ryobi as your first choice. Years back I had a ultra light Ryobi reel that was fantastic. I bought it at the defunt Outdoor Store (first big box store). I had it on a short little browning carbon rod. I lost it one night at a cottage on the Moon River. The rod was resting on the deck railing during the night and was hit by lightning. Rocked the whole cottage and everyone flying out of bed. Next morning I checked my 2 piece rod. The end piece had shot off never to be found. The bottom portion of the rod basically exploded with the reel heat damaged beyond further use. I think Ryobi stopped making them because I could never find another. I have always liked Ryobi products since then.
    There are a few people that carry Ryobi on ebay, I was actually recently looking at the ones carried here and debating model ... and which way the dollar might go and if I actually needed one.... and how much trouble I would get in from the wife.
    https://www.ebay.ca/sch/m.html?_odkw...+reel&_sacat=0

My main reel for years was a Ryobi that lasted for many years and much abuse even went to the Caribbean one time, the salt was hard on it, I got a deal on an Okuma that is supposed to be saltwater .... and some day I hope it sees saltwater. I have also only used it perhaps 10 to 15 times and am withholding judgment on drag, durability and reliability but SO FAR it seems good.
    Last edited by mosquito; August 3rd, 2017 at 07:03 PM.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

I have Diawa for all my good reels. The drag is better. I have and love my SS-2 reels after having the older models for years.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

My choice for the last few years now has been Ardent reels. The baitcasters work just as well as my Shimano reels at a third of the cost. I have used many different spinning reels and the Ardent line has kept me interested because they seem to keep improving. If you get a chance give them a try you will be impressed.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

I've picked up a few Yumoshi reels from Amazon over the summer, 6 different sizes from ultralight to saltwater size, and all for under $30. 10-12 bearings, smooth drag, and they seem to be holding up fine.
    John

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Pfleuger President XT with the cork on the winding handle. Beautiful reel and occasionally go on for $79.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast