Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vice advice??

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Default Vice advice??

Hello all

I'm thinking about upgrading my old AA vice I've had since the 70s.....

What are your thoughts on "rotary vise's vs non rotary vice's"

What brands & models would you suggest

Budget: $200.00 + -

I tie mainly Drys & Nympth's #8 - #24, also steelhead flys & streamers.

Also I'm a lefty, if that should make a differance to the models out there....

Thanks for your advice
    OHB
    Still Crazy After All Those Years :silly:

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Well first off, if the AA is still working...I wouldn't replace it. I wore one of those out, but it's enjoying retirement clamped to shelf on my tying bench. Rotary/non-rotary~I've dabbled with rotary vises (Renzetti, PEAK, Griffin) but favor traditional-style/non-rotary vises. By "rotary" I mean TRUE rotary where the hook shank rotates on it's axis. I think the vise I LIKED the most was an HMH (sold it, dumb move) but day-in/day-out I use my Regal Vise. I've had a couple of them, but the one I use all the time is a clamp model with a "MIDGE" head on it. It can go down to about #22 (probably smaller) with ease, but I can also spin deer hair on it, tie big streamers, etc. THE only issue with Regal vises is that you HAVE to make sure the jaws have enough of the hook bend in them to hold securely. If you push it, only try to grab a little of it and the hook shoots out..the tips of the jaws clack together and there is a high probability they will chip. I rarely tie smaller than #18 these days anyway, but I've carelessly put super-tiny hooks in and had to learn the hard way. However, Regals (NOT the Regal knock-offs) are my favorite to use, and I'm pretty sure you can reverse the action bar to make it good for lefties.

I still have a first-generation, rotating PEAK vise as well as a PEAK traveller. In my opinion, their jaws are the best. I have the midge, regular and saltwater jaws. I even messaged PEAK a few times saying that if they made a traditional vise (similar geometry/function to an HMH) I'd buy one. The traveller comes close, but doesn't rotate in any way. Pain for the head-cement step.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Thank you for the reply GW. I think I'm leaning towards the "Peak Rotary" with the pedistal base. The only negitive thing I've seen about it is the tension screws being made of plastic. Peak does sell the screws made of brass with plastic tips that I will probibly order, along with a set of midge jaws.

Thanks again GW
    OHB

Apprentice

User Info Menu

I have a peak vise. It handles everything I'm capable of. Most of the time I still wrap instead of using the rotary feature, however its awful handy to check the other side of the fly as you go. For example if you are adding flash to the side of a streamer, its easy to flip over to do or check the opposite side. I have not had any problems with plastic tension screws
    Last edited by swampsinger; August 8th, 2017 at 04:53 PM.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Thanks for the reply Swampsinger, I'll be picking up mine this coming weekend. It's about time I made the upgrade to a rotary, but my old AA will still be put to use in a travel kit I'm putting together.
    Would you recommend ordering the midge jaws for anything under #18s?
    Thanks again
    OHB

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Sorry, I'm not going to coment on the midge jaws. I don't have them, and 16 is as low as I go.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Thumbs Up.png
    Thank You Swampsinger

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Peak is good value for money IMO.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

I have the peak rotary.I also have the midge jaws.I ty alot of small flies down to size 26.The midge jaws give me little more room to the rear of the hook.Nice to have but not really necessary.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Default Vice advice??

Kijiji. See 3 records $40 $60 $100 for a #2.
    Never mind not kind of vise your looking for

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast