Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default What moose cartridge?

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Anything form .270Win to 30-06 Sprg is plenty for Ontario Moose. Use a controlled expansion bullet of any type from 150- 220gr. with 180gr being optimum. No matter which you choose,be sure you can hit what you aim at with pin-point accuracy.
    There's nothing more frustrating than dealing with someone who doesn't know what they don't know.-----Anon

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trimmer21 View Post
    Anything form .270Win to 30-06 Sprg is plenty for Ontario Moose. Use a controlled expansion bullet of any type from 150- 220gr. with 180gr being optimum. No matter which you choose,be sure you can hit what you aim at with pin-point accuracy.
    What Trimmer21 said.
    I have two rifles I think are good moose guns and two that are marginal.
    The "good ones" are a .280 Rem and a .30-06. The marginals are a 7mm-08 and a .30-30m Ackley. I would hunt moose with a 7mm-08 and a good load provided all shots would be under about 250 Yards. Add 100 yards for the '06 or .280.

I've always liked slightly less popular cartridges; I currently shoot the .30-30 Ackley, .280, .250 Savage and .250 Ackley. That said, I think the .30-06 may well be my choice ( If I HAD to choose) for best moose cartridge. Lots of power, lots of ammo choices, easy to handload, lots of rifle choices and controllable recoil. 180-grain performance is a bit better than the .308 Win.
    A friend is buying my Rem 700 in .30-06 and I didn't want to be without a big-game-capable rifle I can easily find factory ammo for, so I bought another this morning; a used Steyr Model M. For a cartridge that never really interested me much, the .30-06 has really grabbed my loyalty the last couple of years.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

.50 BMG. I understand they can go a long ways.......

Apprentice

User Info Menu

I'm partial to my .35 Whelen shooting the Federal factory loads with the 225 gr Tbbc but really it is nothing more than a 30-06 shooting a slightly fatter bullet. I'd probably be just as well served shooting a .308 or 30-06 but what's the fun in that?

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dythbringer View Post
    .50 BMG. I understand they can go a long ways.......
    yes, they do. with the right person behind the gun you can hit a moose from 3500m away. no big deal.

as mentioned a .308 or 30-06 with the proper bullet is perfect. keep it simple.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Either a 270 WSM or 7MM Rem will cover all of your needs for both short or long shots......IMO
    lots of moose have fallen to a .308 or 30-06 so if your not a magnum freak like me those are excellent choices

Good luck!
    Guns have two enemies................rust and government

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Depends... I have a 300 win mag that can clip the left nut off a gnat at 300 yards but for Ontario moose where my longest shot has been 75 yards I choose a 308 win with iron sights. Even a 30-30 at that distance will be Ok.
    There are three reasons to own a gun. To protect yourself and your family, to hunt dangerous and delicious animals, and to keep the King of England out of your face.
    - Krusty the Clown

Apprentice

User Info Menu

I like my 300 mag with a handloaded 220grn bullet lots of knockdown power

Dan

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

I have a Sako Bavarian in 338wm. I'll be shooting a 250 gr nosler partition. My backup is a Sako 270wsm with a 140gr nosler accubond.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast