Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on my feeder?

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by smitty55 View Post
    I use a similar feeder but I don't put a bottom on it so that rain will run out the bottom instead of sitting there and causing bait to go moldy.
    I thought of that and drilled a few drain holes in the bottom cap. I thought about putting some sort of lid on it though.

Quote Originally Posted by smitty55 View Post

It's not stupid thinking at all, but I'm not overly enamored with your choice of location, it's too wide open in those old pines and sure it's a travel route, but how often is it used? It depends on what's in that field in the background, I assume that's where the apple trees are. Do they have a good crop this year?
    I'm not enamoured with the location either and may go back and move it next week. The area is actually on the edge of thick brush with a lot of signs and the trail is pretty heavy. The whole area is RANCID with deer signs and in the winter there's a ton of tracks in all different directions. The "field" is actually a slightly more open area of swampy ground. The area is an old farm that's overgrown so the apple trees are wild and unattended. Lots of apples on the trees and quite a few on the ground with lots of deer prints and chewed tracks.

I did make one HORRIBLE mistake and this is why I'm planning on going back. I'm a complete idiot for doing this mistake too.... I put the faux blind to the west... DOH!!! This would put it up wind from the feeder so I have to go back and fix it.

Thanks for the questions because they make me think about things I may be overlooking!

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Stewart View Post
    I thought of that and drilled a few drain holes in the bottom cap. I thought about putting some sort of lid on it though.
    That is the main problem with that kind of feeder. Moisture. It doesn't matter how many small holes you drill in the base, the dust from the corn will eventually get wet, clump up and block the holes. If you make the holes bigger to help drain it, the corn will pass thru it end up just being on the ground...

It doesn't take long (mere days) before the corn starts to ferment and the smell will repel deer away. By the time you get back to re-fill it the clump in the bottom will be black and moldy.

I don't mean to discourage you, but I've done this before and gave up on the idea after one season. There wasn't a single trail cam pic in a whole year of a deer eating from it.

I just ended up throwing it on the ground and had lots of deer come by.

you can see it in the background...( it used to be about 3' off the ground, but slid down)
    Arte et marte (By Skill and by Fighting)...The RCEME motto

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post

I don't mean to discourage you, but I've done this before and gave up on the idea after one season. There wasn't a single trail cam pic in a whole year of a deer eating from it.

I just ended up throwing it on the ground and had lots of deer come by.

you can see it in the background...( it used to be about 3' off the ground, but slid down)
    Thanks! I'd rather know that it failed because it's a flawed design/idea than to find out it failed because I screwed it up! Besides, it's really much easier for me to fill a few buckets of corn and take them out into the woods two at a time and just dump them on the ground! Heck, I could put a sac of corn on my moving dolly and haul it out closer to the spots.

What do you think about this idea.... If I pick a spot in the very middle of this bunch of trees for my stand, I can then dump corn in 4 or 6 spots in a circle about 20-40 yards (cross bow) from my stand.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

FWIW, maybe I'll move this to the woods I squirrel hunt in and use it to draw them in instead! lol

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Stewart View Post
    What do you think about this idea.... If I pick a spot in the very middle of this bunch of trees for my stand, I can then dump corn in 4 or 6 spots in a circle about 20-40 yards (cross bow) from my stand.
    The best setup would be to find the transition path/trail they follow when they come and go to thru area. Putting bait corn/apples in the bush will force them to come to it and you just need to find out how they travel to get there. Deer are creatures of habit and usually follow what they have determined to be safe trails.

Then set up your tree stand/popup 30yds downwind of one of these trails, not necessarily near the bait pile itself, so as to ambush them as the travel to and from it.

I hunt deep in the bush where deer travel when they are going between their bed down spots and the soya/corn fields on the neighbours farm. It allows me to hunt them mid day (1:00-3:00) as they are heading to the inevitable last light showing at the corn field where the other hunters are waiting.
    Arte et marte (By Skill and by Fighting)...The RCEME motto

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    The best setup would be to find the transition path/trail they follow when they come and go to thru area. Putting bait corn/apples in the bush will force them to come to it and you just need to find out how they travel to get there. Deer are creatures of habit and usually follow what they have determined to be safe trails.

Then set up your tree stand/popup 30yds downwind of one of these trails, not necessarily near the bait pile itself, so as to ambush them as the travel to and from it.

I hunt deep in the bush where deer travel when they are going between their bed down spots and the soya/corn fields on the neighbours farm. It allows me to hunt them mid day (1:00-3:00) as they are heading to the inevitable last light showing at the corn field where the other hunters are waiting.
    How much does this behaviour change during the fall compared to winter? Last year I saw lots of tracks and set up not far from where I just put the feeder and watched deer come out from the west of a pond where there's swamp and turn and go up a human trail (wide enough for an ATV). The track then seemed to turn up into the top of the hill. This year I saw at the top of the hill lots of signs of them munching the plants and I noticed someone has put up a stand there. Part of me wants to just throw corn along the ATV Trail and then sit down in the bushes at the corner where it bends and they go up.

*(The "atv" trail as I call it is not an active trail. There are locked gates at the end of it.)

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

From my experience, hunting over a feeder keeps the motivation up even if the stats show different, which is great for mentoring new hunters.

IMHO your location is WAY too open considering it is on public land, the feeder will be found by other hunters and non hunters alike, if you can get there by not getting your feet wet keep moving until you need rubber boots. I know bait is heavy but finding your own out-of-the-way spot will result in more sightings, especially later in the season after other hunters have tromped all around the easy locations. I find corn in a feeder lasts longer than throwing it on the ground, but I use both methods. I get whole corn not cracked so it does not swell up and turn to mush as fast, local feed stores seem to have the best prices.
    " Grant Mountain Bloodhounds Clementine Burgermeister TD, MiSAR"

Apprentice

User Info Menu

I have a friend ... can stress test your Deer feeder
    You can chose the tester with balls or without balls...
    See pictures
    MVII0238.jpg
    MVII0225.jpg
    MVII0465.jpg

This is my aluminium Deer Bear feeder
    Last edited by alfoldivandor; August 15th, 2017 at 08:22 PM.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

I would use the materials around you instead of the burlap. Pay attention of the wind and sun and plan your hunt. Stay away from easy walk in locations and get away from the crowds. The deer will do the same thing and avoid these well accessed areas so do the same thing as the deer and you will put yourself in a better situation.
    "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, Teach a man to fish and he eats for the rest of his life"

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tom gobble View Post
    I would use the materials around you instead of the burlap. Pay attention of the wind and sun and plan your hunt. Stay away from easy walk in locations and get away from the crowds. The deer will do the same thing and avoid these well accessed areas so do the same thing as the deer and you will put yourself in a better situation.
    Last year I flushed out the blind with branches. Next day I couldn't find it when I came back! Lol

Also, the place is rancid with tracks and signs. I set up last year about 10 m off the closed "atv" trail and about 100 m from my car and saw 7-10 deer. None had antlers. :-(

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    Rob

CSSA/CFFR/OFAH

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast