Thread: Helix 5 ice and fishing winter rainbow trout

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Helix 5 ice and fishing winter rainbow trout

Hey guys im looking into buying a ice helix 5 from humminbird anybody out here uses this unit i just want to know how it performs before making the purchase thanks guys

Also any tips and tricks on how to catch rainbow trout during winter in deep stocked lakes... they seem imposibble to catch during ice season....

Thanks guys Troutangler325

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Apprentice

User Info Menu

The rainbows that I catch in the winter in the stocked lake we go to are suspended.
    We fish over 40 FOW and only fish 5 feet down.
    We fish with lone wolfs, pink bucktail jigs, set worm lines, Small lures tipped with worms etc.
    I'm sure power bait will work also .
    ------------------------------------------
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Got a helix 5 last season, worked well for me last year. Great unit for the price IMO.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Thank you very much will try your tips

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Where did you buy the unit????

Leads by example

User Info Menu

I picked up and Helix 5 a couple of seasons back and love it. I bought mine at sail - it went on for $389 with the GPS and chip included.

I have no issues marking my bait and fish in depths to 120ft (deepest I've fished with it).

FishFrenzy

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

I use a helix 5 for ice fishing and have had no problems. For rainbows through the ice I set one line with a minnow, no sinker and let the minnow free roam on about 15 feet of line. Many times the trout cruise just under the ice, especially if you are fishing near shore in 10 - 20 feet of water.