Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Propane fridges. Most specifically Co2 sensors. Help

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

My mistake. Carbon monoxide alarm. Not Co2 alarm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Hunting related so here is a little story....

Two years ago on a moose hunt I was running the generator at the back of the travel trailer to top up the deep cycle battery one evening and it was chained to the rear bumper in case it decided to roll away on its own while we were away in the bush.

We had a commons tent with a wood stove where we congregated for meals and chatted during the evening and on one of my return trips to top up my favorite beverage I opened the door to hear the CO alarm screaming. There was no odor in the camper otherwise such as exhaust fumes. What had happened is that the winds had changed direction and the exhaust from the generator were now being blown under the trailer and although the unit is supposed to be sealed the CO was creeping inside.

I relocated the genny and turned on the AC fan which took a while for the air to clear and the detector to reset.
    Not saying it would have been fatal since I don't run the generator all night but it was an eye opener with sobering thoughts!

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Not something to be nervous about for sure. What about a local RV dealer? They might can help or supply parts.
    Last edited by skypilot; August 22nd, 2017 at 04:45 PM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skypilot View Post
    Not something to be nervous about for sure. What about a local RV dealer? They might can help or supply parts.
    I could not find a battery only unit, tons of them for smoke but for CO they are all plug in units, ticked me off, even RV places.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    I could not find a battery only unit, tons of them for smoke but for CO they are all plug in units, ticked me off, even RV places.
    Here is a couple.....

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.1...8aAqBTEALw_wcB

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/ga...0003p.html#srp

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Crap, sorry, we were also looking for propane gas as well, they have them as dual units with the plug in but could not find them or a propane gas detector on its own in battery.

My concern was not just the CO but also the fact the all the appliances are propane, there is a risk of a gas leak.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Crap, sorry, we were also looking for propane gas as well, they have them as dual units with the plug in but could not find them or a propane gas detector on its own in battery.

My concern was not just the CO but also the fact the all the appliances are propane, there is a risk of a gas leak.
    This unit is most common in all campers today. Simply hooks up to a 12 volt battery.

https://www.rvpartscanada.com/index....2#.WZ2wV1GGPIU

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by impact View Post
    This unit is most common in all campers today. Simply hooks up to a 12 volt battery.

https://www.rvpartscanada.com/index....2#.WZ2wV1GGPIU
    We have a 120VAC solar setup, so we only hook up the battery backup and plug in the unit when we are there. Ideally there would be one that ran on a 9V but a 12V car battery does not really save us anything, and $120, wow.

We had a CO event at our old camp, everyone woke up with a headache, there was a pilot light running all night with no inlet air, scared us, ended up leaving a window open a 30-06 shell length whenever anyone was there, fresh air coming in all the time kept us safe but this camp we wanted the detector.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

CO the silent killer .
    ' This is God's country don't make it look like Hell '
    OFAH member

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Goosesniper.

FWIW - My understanding is that Ontario now disallows the sale of propane refrigerators (CSA - B149. Something code) based on the lack of ability to connect a vent line to the outdoors in case of overpressure on the propane system. The system is designed to vent into the living space and was deemed unsafe.
    It may be cheaper to pay $300 to repair the one you have as opposed to switching to an alternative refrigerator.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast