Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building an ice hut

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Default Building an ice hut

Looking to build a but but unsure on the size. Looking to sit 4 guys comfortably. And possibly sleep 2 or 3. How big would you nake it? Also suggestions for heat. Been thinking of a small wood stove since than i also have a cook surface.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
    Member of the OFAH, CCFR/CCDAF.
    http://firearmrights.ca/

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

2 burner coleman stove is a better choice. You can control the heat, easy to cook on, warms up quicker and no wood or ashes to worry about. I use my at least 4 days a week and only use less than 2 - 20 lb tanks of propane.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Wood heat is far drier than propane unless the propane is direct vented to the outside.
    8' X 8' would seat 4 & sleep 2. 8" X 10' to sleep 3 without bunks. Unless someone likes roasting I don't like bunks. To get the lower ones warm enough the top ones are far too hot.
    You want your heater direct vented to the outside for sleeping in a hut.
    If planning on sleeping in it get a CO detector.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Default Building an ice hut

I would also consider the metal studs. Much lighter. Princess auto has a small wood camp stove that has a water tank and cook surface.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Goosesniper; August 23rd, 2017 at 07:08 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Goosesniper View Post
    I would also consider the metal studs. Much lighter. Princess auto has a small wood camp stove that has a water tank and cook surface.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Didnt think of metal studs... good idea needs to be light enough to pull out by an ATV as well... thats one heater i was looking at.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
    Member of the OFAH, CCFR/CCDAF.
    http://firearmrights.ca/

User Info Menu

Be very careful with heating a hut. BBQ,s, propane stoves etc will kill you.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Make two huts. Four people are fishing to close together in one hut. You could join them together on the ice long ways.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rick_iles View Post
    Be very careful with heating a hut. BBQ,s, propane stoves etc will kill you.
    I've used a coleman stove for 45 years and never had a problem. The tank is outside and a vent at peak on both ends.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

We have an 8x10. Sleeps 4 if needed. We have 2 fold up bunks above the seating benches. Its 2x2 framed with aluminum exterior. The whole thing weighs just over 600lbs....very light, and easy to move. Wood stove is the only way to go. I have used all the heat sources available, but you just can't beat wood.

Also, consider how you are going to get it to the lake. Ours just fits on a double snowmobile trailer. With a winch on the tongue of the trailer, I can load and unload it myself no problem.

S.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I forgot to mention, since portable huts have come out, we hardly use the permanent hut. Didn't even put in on the ice the last 2 seasons. I prefer the flip over huts. Just easier to move around and stay on the fish. Its a bit of work maintaining a permanent hut. You have to be there 2-3 days a week to keep an eye on it, especially the way the weather has been the last few years. More rain than snow.

S.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast