Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast

Thread: Wild Boar Hunting ...in Ontario

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Good point

You mention breeds like Rabbit and we are yet not living in Rabbet-land .....
    (With no natural predators,they're impossible to stop once they're established. This I know,though,they're delicious smoked.)
    So we can feed the nation with organic Meat , just need more hunters ...?!

"I don't always believe what I get told - served" I read between the lines...

Quote Originally Posted by trimmer21 View Post
    The damn things breed like rabbits is what I'm told from relatives that hunt them in Pennsylvania besides being bat-shyte crazy vicious. With no natural predators,they're impossible to stop once they're established. This I know,though,they're delicious smoked.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

I was able to head down to Texas in June and experience a Wild Boar hunt and it was a great trip but listening to the rancher and local farmers in the area those things are bad news and just rip up everything in their path. We were on a spot and stock hunt the one night with night vision goggles and saw a pack of them under some trees, the next morning we went back to the same area and the way the ground was ripped up from this small group was incredible.
    Sustainable Outdoors Co.
    www.sustainableoutdoorsco.com

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

I think pigs would be great here! Nothing else left to hunt. Just think ... no matter what the MNR did these things would flourish! They're good to eat! breed like rabbits and weigh 100 times more then rabbits. We've been over run with zebra mussels, gobi's, cormorants, ticks, coyotes, wolves, new wolf species, exploding bear populations, etc etc and yet we survive. All these were supposed to be the end of the Ontario ecosystems! NAH! Never happened .. all hype! On a plus side our aboriginal populations are growing and our game populations are dwindling. This new tasty critter could fill the void quite nicely. And there would lots left for the rest of us! I'm voting PIGS.
    If you keep doing what you've always done. You'll keep getting what you've always got!
    Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Like Carp (especially including the Common Carp) some seem incapable of understanding the damage that invasive species are doing if they don't have a good understanding of the original environment.

Wild boars are hunted in drives quite often rather than individually in Europe....
    https://www.bookyourhunt.com/Search?...ld+boar+Europe

This one in Romania says you can shoot 15 to 25 or more...
    https://www.bookyourhunt.com/Tour/52...rm=Wild%20boar

This one in Italy just no limit
    https://www.bookyourhunt.com/Tour/63...rm=Wild%20boar

There are already issue with the large deer population and it's effect on sensitive environments ... imagine thousands of 100lb bulldozers routing around and their effect ...
    http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/cull-or...ands-1.1557053
    Last edited by mosquito; August 23rd, 2017 at 09:10 PM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alfoldivandor View Post
    Good point

You mention breeds like Rabbit and we are yet not living in Rabbet-land .....
    (With no natural predators,they're impossible to stop once they're established. This I know,though,they're delicious smoked.)
    So we can feed the nation with organic Meat , just need more hunters ...?!

"I don't always believe what I get told - served" I read between the lines...
    Rabbit have natural Predators that help control the numbers. Want to Rabbits with no Predators? look at Australia.
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwalker View Post
    Rabbit have natural Predators that help control the numbers. Want to Rabbits with no Predators? look at Australia.
    Look at SW Ontario, European hares are still around from escaped animals back in the 1800s. They have predators here, lots of them, but they still survived just fine, scary as heck. Take an animal the reproduces in similar numbers over a year, give them sharp teeth and 200+lb frames, bad news.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

They had a some wild boar escape from a farm during a harsh Winter near WinPeg a few years back....they are now on the DNR 'shot on sight any day of the year' list. The only saving grace is that there isn't much on the western side of MB that gets bothered by them. So the breed and march onward. Rumours are they quite like the winters north of Kenora and are often spotted up there.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by finsfurfeathers View Post
    Look up any invasive species. In its own initial environment that animal is not a problem. Introduce it to a foreign environment it wreaks havoc in the new one. Once you release the genie from the bottle you can't get it back in.
    I'll second that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SK33T3R View Post
    I think pigs would be great here! Nothing else left to hunt. Just think ... no matter what the MNR did these things would flourish! They're good to eat! breed like rabbits and weigh 100 times more then rabbits. We've been over run with zebra mussels, gobi's, cormorants, ticks, coyotes, wolves, new wolf species, exploding bear populations, etc etc and yet we survive. All these were supposed to be the end of the Ontario ecosystems! NAH! Never happened .. all hype! On a plus side our aboriginal populations are growing and our game populations are dwindling. This new tasty critter could fill the void quite nicely. And there would lots left for the rest of us! I'm voting PIGS.
    I kind of agree. I mean I wouldn't intro them myself, but if they come, we might be better off.
    They will certainly thrive here and yes, they're total menace for agriculture, but if there's enough hunting, they will be kept in check, more or less.
    "The dog is Small Munsterlander, the gun is Beretta."
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed" A. Saint-Exupery.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

We all know there aren't enough hunters and the numbers are dwindling every year, so unless they put a substantial bounty on them, or farmers are willing to pay for an 'agent' to clear his property, these boars will breed faster than they can be shot..like others have said, down south they wish they had never been set free.

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast