Thread: 9.9 yamha 4 stroke on 12ft Tinner

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Default 9.9 yamha 4 stroke on 12ft Tinner

I知 grabbing a 12ft tinner as my 14ft is more of a sieve these days ( patched many holes LOL) my motor is a 2001 Yamaha 9.9-4stroke and I知 240lbs, I知 wondering if motor will be too heavy with my fat old bod at the back also. I can put 5 gal gas can near front along with the RV battery for trolling motor but looking for other suggestions.
    PS If my wife reads this yes I know lose weight LOL

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Some of it depends on the boat rating. I've seen 12 footers rated at 9.9 to 15hp as well as different maximum weight capacities. If you're not over what the nameplate says then I wouldn't be overly concerned. Besides, you'll find out when you try it.

Cheers
    Smitty

Straight shooter

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I would look for another 14 footer. Much more useful and safer. Great motor though.
    I 'm suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog who doesn't like a person.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Default 9.9 yamha 4 stroke on 12ft Tinner

We used a 4 stroke yammy on a 12ft princecraft seasprite. Lite enough to car top or back of the pick up. Just pricey. good weight ratings

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

I've fished and worked extensively from 12 ' and 14 ' cartoppers for over 50 years and my go-to will always be the 14 ft. A bit more room for yourself and gear and comes up on plane much quicker. I believe they're easier on gas too. I can still load my 14 ' in the box of my truck myself but it would be a real chore if I was to try lifting in on car racks. That's about the only time a 12 ft has any advantage.
    I think if you're on the heavier side of normal, you and that 4 stroke will be looking for more weight than just the gas tank in the bow. I think you'll regret buying that 12 ft.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Ok picked up the 12 ft tinner cleaned the plate a saw 7.5 hp guess i'm going to make a duck blind boat with it and use a trolling motor with two deep cycle batteries for power place up front

Member for Life

User Info Menu

A five gallon gas can that is ALMOST full of water also makes a good bow weight in a tinny or canoe. It will float if you dump and can be poured out on the ground when travelling.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

try getting 2 stroke motor.