Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fishing Aruba Recommendations

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jham View Post
    Great trip overall but didn't get as much time fishing as I wanted. I hit up the Malmok reefs on a couple of mornings and afternooms using the balloon and jig set up with frozen squid and some odds and ends off a grouper from the market. The set up works nice on a windy day, just toss out the balloon and line and in a few minutes will make it out off shore quickly. Quite a few locals doing the same. I saw lots of fish. A few big ones but wasn't able to land anything.

Still enjoyed some fantastic sunrises and sunsets with a few Balashi's in hand!

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
    Glad you brought the rod now? Do you know what you hooked and what did you land, any pics of the fish you did land?

For the future there are alot of different laws and protected areas on various islands so you have to look before you book or atleast before you go of course, you may not be allowed to fish from shore at all or only in certain areas.

But a few fish (any size), sunrises, scenery like that .... to use an old phrase... PRICELESS :-)

P.S. Not sure if you are interested in fly fishing but here's a cheap travel rod, a bit light but still fun. Freshwater fly lines and rod/reels work in salt but you need to rinse them well after using.
    https://www.kijiji.ca/v-fishing-camp...ationFlag=true
    Last edited by mosquito; September 11th, 2017 at 06:35 PM.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Just starting out

User Info Menu

We only landed a couple of small fish, not sure of the species, they were sort of a bluish tinge, blue tang maybe?

I've never actually tried fly fishing before, mostly just reel but thanks for sharing - Ill be better prepared for next time!

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

It was kind of last minute and a bit of prep and some research before hand can make a big difference. I was reading more and found out that there are lots of different kinds you can catch from shore there, by the Holiday Inn the one woman caught a 3 1/2' reef shark from shore so it seems there are opportunities for some fun.

What you caught did it look sort of like this? Jacks are very common, put up a good fight and hit almost anything.
    http://www.mexfish.com/fish/grnjk/grnjk.jpg

You can try this if you remember and have a bit of time.
    http://species-identification.org/identify_species.php

I didn't know how serious or if you fly fished at all so i suggested just the cheaper basic travel one. I saw a March Brown rod on Kijiji near my area, a very good rod but never cheap .. and I already have 2 travel fly rods (1 being a March Brown) and can't figure out how to justify another. :-)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12