Thread: What bird is this

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Default What bird is this

Found this little guy on my lawn but can't figure what species it my be. Any one know I'm just curious.
    "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, Teach a man to fish and he eats for the rest of his life"

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Hard to tell but it looks like a Goldfinch. This would make sense as they nest later in the season.

User Info Menu

Thanks, I believe your right. They have nested in my tree before. I just didn't see a nest this year that's why I cancelled it out. Thanks
    "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, Teach a man to fish and he eats for the rest of his life"

User Info Menu

Possibly but I would have guessed one size larger in similar colours given the size I am guessing looking at the grass and said Grosbeak.
    https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Evening_Grosbeak/id

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Wrong beak for a grosbeak , but very hard to tell with newborns as their color hasn't formed yet. I assume it is dead?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon View Post
    Wrong beak for a grosbeak , but very hard to tell with newborns as their color hasn't formed yet. I assume it is dead?
    Hard to guess on the scale too, looking at the grass for scale it seems big for a Goldfinch and the body portions and bill seems a bit off but it is hard to id at that age for sure. There is a goldfinch feeder withing 10m of where I am sitting and looking at the baby goldfinch examples they seem lighter in body and bill.. but my scale might be off on size. Searching on Baby was a good idea ...
    http://wrcnu.org/bookmark/14969113-Grosbeak-Baby

There is an intermediate choice too that I thought about and googled since "baby" helps alot... an oriole
    https://calypsophotography.wordpress.com/tag/cute/

I threw some ideas out ... now hopefully someone that actually knows what they are talking about can do an ID. :-)

User Info Menu

There was two of them on the ground one was dead but the one in the pic was alive and well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharon View Post

User Info Menu

Looks kinda close to an oriole but the beak was a bit different. Thanks for the input everyone
    Quote Originally Posted by mosquito View Post
    Hard to guess on the scale too, looking at the grass for scale it seems big for a Goldfinch and the body portions and bill seems a bit off but it is hard to id at that age for sure. There is a goldfinch feeder withing 10m of where I am sitting and looking at the baby goldfinch examples they seem lighter in body and bill.. but my scale might be off on size. Searching on Baby was a good idea ...
    http://wrcnu.org/bookmark/14969113-Grosbeak-Baby

There is an intermediate choice too that I thought about and googled since "baby" helps alot... an oriole
    https://calypsophotography.wordpress.com/tag/cute/

I threw some ideas out ... now hopefully someone that actually knows what they are talking about can do an ID. :-)

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Very doubtful that it is an Oriole, they are one of the early nesters, and by now they have already headed south., the adults leave very shortly after their young have fledged.
    The adults are the first to leave, which they did about 3 - 4 weeks ago, and now all the young fledglings have grown and also left our area.
    My neighbor is an avid birder and says he hasn't seen an oriole around for well over a week , there were 4 pairs that nested around their place this year, constantly at our bird feeders and theirs.
    They feed at the humming bird feeders a lot before they have their young , then they switch to and eat and feed their young bugs/insects, after their young have fledged,they usually are back to feeding on nectar and then quickly leave for down south.
    Last edited by jaycee; September 6th, 2017 at 09:37 AM.