Thread: Jembi Lake fly-in with White River Air

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Jembi Lake fly-in with White River Air

Just back from a four-day fly-in trip to Jembi Lake covering August 31 - September 4, 2017. My brother Scott & I had initially booked to fly to Bulldozer Lake with this outfitter but, when we arrived, the owner Dan McLaughlin gave us the option of either lake. He indicated that Jembi had been the more consistent lake all year, so we decided we'd give it a shot!

This was planned as a Walleye numbers trip for us and Jembi did not disappoint! In the four days, we caught 260 walleyes by our count! The average size was very good, seemingly between 17" and 18". There were a fair number north of 20" as well. We caught some incidental pike along the way, but nothing big. We were able to get a few to take out along with our limit of Walleye. We figured we caught about 65 Pike in the four days, none of which cracked 30". Surely there are much bigger ones there to be targeted, but we did not do so.

The weather was a mixture. We have a couple sunny days where the wind whipped up pretty good. Our third day was windy and very rainy and the fourth day was mostly overcast with more wind. The wind shifted from out of the South West to out of the North West over the trip. The walleyes definitely related to the windward side of all structure we fished, as expected. We had most consistent luck fishing 1/4 and 1/8 oz jigs with soft plastics (Authentix Moxi bought online at Bfishin Tackle was most used). When the weather changed and the walleyes got more finicky, we changed to plastic minnows (3 - 4") and slowed the presentation down, often just vertical jigging very close to bottom. We used no live bait during the trip, though we had picked up some crawlers as insurance before flying in .

Some additional details:

• The cabin at Jembi is equipped with lights powered by a Honda generator. It is essentially designed to sleep 7, but that could be tight. There was a plug to charge stuff up.
    • There is no indoor plumbing and there is an outhouse
    • Heat is from a woodstove
    • Propane fridge and stove worked just fine
    • The lake has a good mixture of rock or weedy structure and is relatively clear (not tannin stained).
    • Depth is generally 5 - 15' but there were a few 25' spots.

I think that's pretty much it. Scott and I had a great time and WRA are a top notch outfitter! I would definitely recommend Jembi Lake.

Feel free to comment or message me with any comments or questions. If anyone is interested in other WRA lakes, we have also fished Shekak and Pickle.

I have attached a few pics from the trip!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    You've gotta pound the water!

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Nice! 👍

Apprentice

User Info Menu

sounds like a good time.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Sounds like you had a great time ... that was good fishing.. hope you guys cooked up a few shore lunches ..