Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hullett Marsh 2017 Pheasant Release Program

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by js4fn View Post
    Is a dog a must have there ?
    js4fn:

not sure if it is a must have but i think its very difficult without , especially once the birds start getting more wary and go deeper. I've seen a few hunters without dogs coming out with birds; i assume they work in pairs and try to push the birds to the edge of cover and then they take flight.

You can always walk into one or two.

Maybe you can team up with a hunter with a dog once you get there , when i hunt alone i usually don't mind an extra 'safe' gun.

Either way , its a great day walking Hullett, and in my opinion much more fun with a dog !
    Let us know how you make out

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Definitely a hot opening day out there - I manged to get one rooster, sans chein. Bring water and get ready for the burrs, they bite. Trails are well cut and the mosquitoes are in full force. Staff at FOH were present, super friendly and well received.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Is the cover all mowed into little chunks this year?

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
    "The language of dogs and birds teaches you your own language."
    -- Jim Harrison (1937 - 2016)

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

No body hunting hullet anymore? What a ghost town. Practically had the place to myself today. Awesome conditions cool breeze but the mosquito's still in full force. Place is pristine barley a foot step not the virtual cattle paths I've seen in the past. Pens empty so don't know what they'll be releasing for the weekend. Dogs had a blast today however hunter and dogs should of been in better shape.
    The star of the day was Nova as he "put" up the only bird seen today. Granted Stella had the scent and was closing in he just happened to be at the right spot at the right time. Gave the apprentice the win but just don't tell him it was a gimmy
    DSC00390 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/153457252@N02/], on Flickr
    Last edited by finsfurfeathers; September 28th, 2017 at 04:06 PM.
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Great picture!

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by finsfurfeathers View Post
    No body hunting hullet anymore? What a ghost town. Practically had the place to myself today. Awesome conditions cool breeze but the mosquito's still in full force. Place is pristine barley a foot step not the virtual cattle paths I've seen in the past. Pens empty so don't know what they'll be releasing for the weekend. Dogs had a blast today however hunter and dogs should of been in better shape.
    The star of the day was Nova as he "put" up the only bird seen today. Granted Stella had the scent and was closing in he just happened to be at the right spot at the right time. Gave the apprentice the win but just don't tell him it was a gimmy
    DSC00390 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/153457252@N02/], on Flickr
    Sounds like a good day, congrats

How bad are the bugs? I assume they will release more birds for the weekend as well.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Bugs where thick thank goodness always pack spray as without it the day would of been irritating. As long as the breeze blew kept them down however during the lulls they swarmed. As of 2:00 pm yesterday the pen was bare so you do the math.
    Pickings will be slim but with a hard working dog I'm sure you'll find something however I found the birds to be runners and with tons of cover hard to pin them down.
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Hello
    Looking for some information on Hullet Marsh as I have never been there before.
    I am interesting in getting my pup out for some pheasants (it will be his first time)
    What days and hours can you hunt? Is it busy on the weekends? Do they do a daily pheasant release based on # of hunters?
    Is there a fee to hunt. I am coming from Mississauga, which I assume is about a 2 hour drive to Hullet.
    Sorry for all the ? and I appreciate any and all advice.

Phil

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

FFF thanks for the encouragement i ll bring bug repellent, Muskol or OFF ? lol

Running Birds are always 'fun' for a pointing dog with an old hunter

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chocolateman View Post
    Hello
    Looking for some information on Hullet Marsh as I have never been there before.
    I am interesting in getting my pup out for some pheasants (it will be his first time)
    What days and hours can you hunt? Is it busy on the weekends? Do they do a daily pheasant release based on # of hunters?
    Is there a fee to hunt. I am coming from Mississauga, which I assume is about a 2 hour drive to Hullet.
    Sorry for all the ? and I appreciate any and all advice.

Phil
    Phil
    Great place to bring your pup , what kind of dog is it ?

you can hunt from 1/2 hour before sunrise to 1/2/ after sunset as per regs (hope i have it right)

Its free to hunt, but most of us support the hunt by buying Pheasant Challenge Tickets , you can buy them at the store in Clinton, i ll copy the original post here

you can also go to the website its very complete and has a map of where you can hunt and where to park
    http://www.hullettmarsh.com/hunting.html

here is the original post , with a lot of info

i ll likely be there this weekend

Hullett Pheasant Facts:

-the 2017 pheasant season is now longer ending December 31

-the Hullett Provincial Wildlife Area (HPWA) is open to the public 365 days of the year with no admission fees for all types of users including hikers, hunters and bird watchers.....WMU # 85

-the HPWA is operated entirely by the Friends of Hullett (FOH) a registered non profit volunteer organization

-volunteers are the key to maintaining this 5400 acre property, trails and access points(20 parking lots)

-hikers help maintain the trails and waterfowl hunters take care of Zone A and the 200 plus nesting structures

-pheasant hunters are the most consumptive users of the property with a $10,000 cost to purchase the pheasants plus licences, fuel and labour to release the pheasants.....this financial burden weighs heavy on FOH resources

-pheasants are hunted in prime upland habitat located in Zone B and 10% are banded for prizes

-the Hullett PWA is the only public property in Ontario where you can hunt pheasants for free including Sundays and also no township licence is required

The Good News:

-the FOH Board of Directors has approved the spending of $10,000 once again in 2017 to release 1000 pheasants for public hunting opportunities as we have done for the last 5 years, birds costs are up $1 per bird this year

-most people want to keep the Hullett pheasant release program going!

How Pheasant Hunters can help:

-this is easy...simply purchase $10 "Pheasant Challenge" tickets! Ideal Supply donates a generator for the main draw prize at the end of pheasant season as well as small prizes for the banded birds.

-new for 2017 is an additional main prize purchased by FOH...20 ga. O/U

-the Pheasant Challenge was created to help fund the release program and sales were only just over 300 tickets in 2016

-tickets are now available (cash sales only) at Ideal Supply in Wingham, Exeter, St Mary's, Stratford, Goderich and Mitchell as well as Clinton Sporting Goods gun shop in Clinton

-you can also order your tickets directly from Friends of Hullett via email and we will mail them to you if you purchase 3 or more simply include your name, address and telephone # ...our office also has tickets but quite often we are in the field working

-INTERAC email transfer is the best payment option but you can also mail us a cheque

Please click poster for details:

Click image for larger version.

Name: Pheasant Challenge Ticket poster 2017_opt_001.jpg
    Views: 59
    Size: 82.1 KB
    ID: 35696

Thanks for your support!

Friends of Hullett

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast