Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Binoculars

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I've got two sets.

One is a small Bushnell Powerview 8x21 that stays in the truck for glassing fields, and can get dropped in my pocket for quick step outs.

The second is a set of Bushnell 12x50 ( the current model is called powerview, but mine is older). These get specific duty around the neck in late Summer for scouting.

I just happened to own Bushnell for mainly price point, but they are robust, and their warrantee is very good.
    "Camo" is perfectly acceptable as a favorite colour.

Proud member - NFA, Delta Waterfowl, CSSA, RGS, and OFAH

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mount Sweetness View Post
    Nikon Monarch 10x42
    Pick your price range in the Monarch line, the mid Monarchs are great value, avoid the cheap low end Monarchs.
    THIS ^^^^^^

Have a 10yo set of 8X42 Monarch ATB's, middle of the line unit, still as good as the day I bought them. Extremely clear and crisp, excellent for low light, leaps and bounds better than the average $100 units. So glad I bit the bullet a decade ago and splurged to buy them, wish I had done it sooner.

*Edited to add* Just noticed that Cabelas Canada has put their Nikon MONARCH 5 (10X42) on sale for Boxing week. From $490 to $400.
    Last edited by Lakon; December 23rd, 2017 at 05:33 PM.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

I've used The Burris Landmark 8 by 32 for 6 years love them until somebody stolethem off the dash of my truck while uptown.looking for a new set. Keep the suggestions coming

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Here's a link to an Audobon site that rates binoculars and spotting scopes.

http://www.audubon.org/gear/binocular-guide

I've found retailers catering to birdwatchers to be the best source for optics and often have better prices. Find one and ask them to let you try different models. Try 8x and 10x and see which ones you can hold steady. There's no need to spend many thousands but don't cheap out either. Really good optics are easier to use for longer periods, better for light gathering at dawn/dusk and you will likely use them more often than your riflescope.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Bird Watchers are one group that does spend a long time looking through their binoculars, they should know what they are talking about!

Just starting out

User Info Menu

I ended up going with the Nikon Monarch 5 in 8x42 and they are great. I believe these are the newer version of the Monarch ATB line... Mid range with ED glass at an affordable price. Most other brands were into the $600+ range for ED glass.

Did some late season sits up in a fully enclosed ground blind, and the light levels were far greater than the naked eye.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Great choice with the Nikon Monarch in 8x42, you're going to love them. I have a pair of Monarchs in 8x42 I've been using for over 10 years now. I also have a pair of Leupold Mojave Bx3 in 10x42. Paid roughly the same price, both great products, but I would give the edge to the Monarch.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Great choice, you will not regret it! May I humbly suggest you also pick up a micro fibre cleaning cloth in a storage pouch that you attach directly to the bino strap. Excellent little kit that only costs about $10 but is very handy when needed.

lens.jpg

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123