Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Portable Hut (flip Over style) Advice ??????

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Default Portable Hut (flip Over style) Advice ??????

With winter approaching I have decided to purchase a flip over style shelter (something that can fit 2 ppl comfortably), I am looking at a flip over style shelter but am unsure about which one to choose.

I like the new side entry insulated Frabill's, and I have heard good things about the Otter brand, so anyone have any advice on these brands? I have a sled and UTV to pull it with so not to concerned with weight, but would like to be able to load in back of truck with 2 guys if possible.

I have heard things about ones that have extending bars and some that don't, which do you guys recommend. I don't live anywhere near a store that sells them, so it has been tough to actually look at them and try them out, etc.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Apprentice

User Info Menu

I've owned a 2 man flip for yr's and ready for a new one, I've done a little home work and narrowed in down to the following, pends what your budget is. but remember you get what you pay for and if you want insulated or not..
    Otter ( top of the line ) 2 man XT cabin, insulated and I like bench Type seating, approx $700 U.S and I like the otter because it has a deeper tub for those slushy days and there tub is bullet proof.
    Otter XT lodge 2-3man insulated $approx $800 U.S
    Frabil 2 man bro sidestep insulated approx $600 U.S, frabil tubs are shallow.
    Eskimo 2iT crossover insulated approx $550 U.S.

Hope this helps

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Otter 110% - I've owned all, and BY FAR the best quality is otter. You get what you pay for

FishFrenzy

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

I have had a clam nanook for years and will be upgrading to an otter insulated 2 man . In regards to the poles , I haven't seen a 2 man that doesn't have telescopic poles only the one man huts.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

I have a Clam Yukon that's 14 yrs old. It's still in pretty good shape.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I have 5 portable huts. I am selling them all this year to fund an otter. If your interested, let me know.

I have a 2 man clam guide, cover, tow hitch, custom teflon runners, swivel bucket seats.....in great shape.

S.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Ten years ago I'd have invested in a high end Otter sled. With the past 10 winters in mind I think I'd be very careful investing that much money in an Otter. We don't get solid winters anymore so a middle of the road flipover hut would do IMO. I've had a Clam ProScout for 12 years and I think it's just fine for todays ice fishing.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Otter without any hesitation.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

OK, seems like an Otter is the way to go. Does anyone know off somewhere that sells them, I would prefer a store that has a few models set up if possible.

I know cableas.ca sells one Otter flip over for $1499 but that is all they have on their site. Does Bass Pro in Vaughan sell Otter?

or can you recommend an independent Otter Dealer? I live in the Guelph Area, but am willing to drive to Barrie, Toronto, London, etc.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Gagnon sports in Oshawa is where I went. You can also order them online from various places.

FishFrenzy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast