Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first grouse hunting experience

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default My first grouse hunting experience

So there I was, this past Monday, walking on Crown land with my 12 ga. 2 3/4 6 shot in the chamber. Beautiful morning, definitely gonna be a stinkin' hot day later on. I had read often that small game tend to be out early morning and late evening. It was 10:30am, so I figured I probably wouldn't see any grouse on the ground. I walked a bit, then stopped for a minute or two to scan the ground and trees. I did this for over an hour with no luck.
    Walking back to my truck, I stopped, thought I saw movement about 15 yards out. Sure enough, my first grouse was in my sights. Squeezed the trigger, and hat was it, my first grouse. My heart was pounding. 10 minutes later, I got the opportunity again.
    I breasted the birds out, put in zip lock bags and put in my cooler full of ice.

When I got home, I googled a recipe for wrapping them in bacon, setting them in a glass dish with white wine, shallots and garlic. Oh my god! Yummy!

My thought or question is I took two birds. I want to go back out, but I can't help thinking if I'm successful again, am I taking away the opportunity for other hunters? Is it possible to overhunt an area?
    I don't wear bows - I shoot them.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Congrats on your success. I am guessing you are hooked now. You could potentially over-hunt an area but nature hates a void. If you are in a large tract of Crown land and that area possesses good habitat for grouse, they will move back into the area. Good luck the rest of the season. Cheers.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Well done, keep going and switching up spots.
    Mark Snow, Leader Of The, Ontario Libertarian Party

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Congrats !

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nina Martin View Post
    My thought or question is I took two birds. I want to go back out, but I can't help thinking if I'm successful again, am I taking away the opportunity for other hunters? Is it possible to overhunt an area?
    That's and awesome sentiment and I respect you for it however something to consider. Grouse and woodcock tend to be found where they are for a reason. With experience you will soon find spots that seem to always produce. Overtime you'll develop kind of of a milk run loop hitting high percentage areas and vola your a bird hunter. So if you leave your prime spots for someone else no guarantee that you might be encroaching on some else's loop. Always good to explore new areas but I wouldn't leave an area for fear of being in a way selfish. Also the reason I feel if someone brings you to "their" spot you don't return on your own without their OK even if its crown.
    On a side note I cringe when I hear grouse just being breasted. Look into a least also recovering the legs if not the whole carcass you would be surprised at the dishes you can make staring with just a simple soup.
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Congrats on your first grouse, some of the best tablefare around!
    Rod Embree
    KMG Hunting Safaris

Leads by example

User Info Menu

The general feeling is that predators and the weather are harder on grouse than hunters. Having said that, if it's a small chunk of forest without a lot of corridors for movement to other spots then maybe you could be selective. Likely though you pass by more birds than you see and they are sorta like the feathered version of bunnies. If you keep getting 2 birds every trip let me know and I can help you with your problem.
    Make sure you have finished speaking before your audience has finished listening.

Dorothy Sarnoff

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Congrats Nina,

Bush chickens are among the best hunting fare out there.
    "Camo" is perfectly acceptable as a favorite colour.

Proud member - Delta Waterfowl, CSSA, and OFAH

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by finsfurfeathers View Post
    That's and awesome sentiment and I respect you for it however something to consider. Grouse and woodcock tend to be found where they are for a reason. With experience you will soon find spots that seem to always produce. Overtime you'll develop kind of of a milk run loop hitting high percentage areas and vola your a bird hunter. So if you leave your prime spots for someone else no guarantee that you might be encroaching on some else's loop. Always good to explore new areas but I wouldn't leave an area for fear of being in a way selfish. Also the reason I feel if someone brings you to "their" spot you don't return on your own without their OK even if its crown.
    On a side note I cringe when I hear grouse just being breasted. Look into a least also recovering the legs if not the whole carcass you would be surprised at the dishes you can make staring with just a simple soup.
    Funny, I was thinking the same thing ie. using the whole bird. I realized as I was breasting it out, that the soft feathers came off very easy. I think if I bring tin snips or snipers that cut at an angle, I could simply cut off the joints d retain the whole bird.
    I don't wear bows - I shoot them.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Congrats on your first birds, I'm sure you won't forget it. Wheres the pics
    "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, Teach a man to fish and he eats for the rest of his life"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast