Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outboard motor maintenance. 75 4 stoke Merc

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Default Outboard motor maintenance. 75 4 stoke Merc

I have never proclaimed that I'm mechanically inclined to say the least. When I was younger I left it up to my dad. Now that, I've grown up and have my own toys I try to dabble in some of my own maintenance to cut on dealer or marina costs. That being said, I know my limits. The regular annual maintenance I complete myself is the oil and filter change. Lower end oil and gas line filter. I fog the cylinders each fall as well. The motor runs excellent. A bit sluggish if I try to run at less than 1k rpm. I hear this is a common problem with all of these big 4 strokes. They like to be revved. I have been reading that it may be time to change the impeller, water pump and thermostat and wondering if anyone has done this before. Is there much to it? How often do you do it? Looking on U tube people appear to have how to videos. Any advice?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Youtube is the answer... if not find the download of manual on the internet. Sounds like maybe a carb cleaning is required.
    Mark Snow, Libertarian Nepean, for 2019, Chairman - Ontario Libertarian Party

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

I change the water pump and plugs every two seasons and my impeller, lower unit gear oil every season (small price to pay for a large investment). I put a about 50hrs on my 250 Optimax annually.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Agreed on the lower leg oil, engine oil and filter. I do mine every year on the Yamaha 115hp on our pontoon.
    Mark Snow, Libertarian Nepean, for 2019, Chairman - Ontario Libertarian Party

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by line052 View Post
    Youtube is the answer... if not find the download of manual on the internet. Sounds like maybe a carb cleaning is required.
    EFI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by line052 View Post
    Agreed on the lower leg oil, engine oil and filter. I do mine every year on the Yamaha 115hp on our pontoon.
    When was the last time the stat, impeller and pump done last?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

My impeller on my 75 etec gets changed every three years, but I don't ever run in muddy or sandy conditions. Lots of guys neglect this, but it's better than a new powerhead !!

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rick_iles View Post
    My impeller on my 75 etec gets changed every three years, but I don't ever run in muddy or sandy conditions. Lots of guys neglect this, but it's better than a new powerhead !!
    Hey Rick. You do this yourself?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Goosesniper View Post
    Hey Rick. You do this yourself?

No, the dealer does it at tune up time for the etec.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Back again. Been reading some stuff online regarding trolling at low speeds that there may be a problem with sludge build up. Today I experienced this I think. Was trolling for a couple of hours. Stopped and drifted and started casting. When I started the motor it appeared to have leaked a bunch of oil into the water. Checked everything and appeared to be okay. Stopped and started again and it didnít happen again. Moved to a different location. Started trolling again. When I stopped and pulled up the plate when I started the same thing happened again. Any ideas here. ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast