User Info Menu

Any ideas?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Slow trolling will load up unburned oil on some older motors. Usually when you accelerate, you get a cloud of smoke with oil and gas stain on the water. My newer etec doesn't do that. There's nearly no smoke when accelerating after trolling for hours. Since yours is 4 stroke, my guess would be unburnt gas.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rick_iles View Post
    Slow trolling will load up unburned oil on some older motors. Usually when you accelerate, you get a cloud of smoke with oil and gas stain on the water. My newer etec doesn't do that. There's nearly no smoke when accelerating after trolling for hours. Since yours is 4 stroke, my guess would be unburnt gas.
    It looked brown like oil. It is a 4 stroke. . Un burned oil? I didnt think the 4’s didnt burn oil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Goosesniper View Post
    It looked brown like oil. It is a 4 stroke. . Un burned oil? I didnt think the 4’s didnt burn oil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's why I said it's likely gas. But if you say it's brown.......best check with a marine mechanic...

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Run some seafoam thru it.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

I just read this online.
    Trolling in cold water might really be the toughest duty your outboard oil will ever see. During extended trolling an outboard may not reach normal operating temperature and even with modern fuel injection and engine controls, unburned fuel in the combustion chamber can condense and migrate past piston rings and contaminate engine oil, a situation engineers call “fuel dilution.” When the motor next reaches its operating temp, that fuel should evaporate as the oil gets hot. But if you troll with a kicker and stow it away to run with a main motor, the oil in the small motor may stay contaminated with fuel. Synthetic oil is more tolerant of contamination by fuel and water condensation. But it’s a good idea to get that kicker up to temp once in awhile.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12