Thread: New Broadheads and an interesting result

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Default New Broadheads and an interesting result

I was asking the question last year, what broadheads to get to replace my 125gr WASP ones from the original Right Stuff package with my Exomax from 2008. Well I picked up 6 Excalibur Bolt cutters, but in 150gr. I was skeptical about the heavier weight, I did not want to lose trajectory on them. My wife wanted pink arrows for her Exocet 200, so I grabbed another 6 pack of carbon bolts for my Exomax, planning to use her old ones as spares. Well, my original Right Stuff package used Gold Tip Laser II shafts with longer vanes than the new ones, no biggie, I have lots of the firebolts, just go ahead and use them. My wifes bow was already setup for this setup, 2 shots to verify and it is dead on at 20 yards and at 30 yards the speed setting of the varizone setup at 300fps makes it dead on, perfect. Now my bow, I knew things would be different from the arrow change but the POI at 20 yards was exactly the same, interesting, 150gr vs 125gr but shorter vanes, hits dead on at 20 yards. My bow was shooting at 325fps with the older setup, now at 30 yards I had to keep cranking up the speed, 350fps lines up perfectly. I ended up with a faster bow with a heavier broadhead due to the slightly lower drag changing over from the old bolts to the new ones, perfect.

Pleasantly surprised and now ready for deer hunting, may not get out with the bow until after the rifle hunt but I am happy to have everything ready to go.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Leads by example

User Info Menu

That is interesting, glad it worked out for you. It always makes you feel confident knowing your equipment is on.
    Guns have two enemies................rust and government

OFAH and CCFR member

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by huntnmachine View Post
    That is interesting, glad it worked out for you. It always makes you feel confident knowing your equipment is on.
    I would never go out not knowing, glad I did not lose trajectory moving to the new broadhead.