Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: red dot optics

Just starting out

User Info Menu

To each their own! Some things work better for some than others! Happy hunting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Leads by example

User Info Menu

I guess Chewy. I can't see spending much over $100 for a red dot scope unless I'm going to use it for many different hunts. I'm trying to avoid moving optics. I hate the hassle of finding the paper all over again. It gets expensive.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Both my wife and I use cheap $80 Bushnell brand red dots. Not sure why you'd need anything fancier, or how you can justify putting out $500 when it's not needed. . Put the red spot on the turkey's neck and pull the trigger. Dead bird every time for 80 bucks. All I do to sight them in is use cheap Crappy Tire lead 7.5 shot with the turkey choke at 10 yards. Get your pattern dead center on the target and it's pretty much sighted in. Three rounds of the turkey load and a tiny bit of adjustment and the gun is good to go.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fenelon View Post
    Not sure why you'd need anything fancier, or how you can justify putting out $500 when it's not needed.
    Your right...not complicated, actually quite easy....the true hunt is to get them in under 20yds.....it gets expensive when you try to kill them by reaching out 50+ yds...
    Arte et marte (By Skill and by Fighting)...The RCEME motto

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

I use an Aimpoint Micro H1. Yes, it's expensive. No, it has never malfunctioned in any way and I also use it for deer hunting in the fall. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat. I've seen the cheaper red dots burn through batteries, be killed off by rain/cold, etc. That simply won't happen with an Aimpoint.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

I use just a cheap Tasco red dot and have had no issues with it, harvested many birds with this unit
    Guns have two enemies................rust and government

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

I've got a Holosun Micro on my MK12 turkey gun. Works great!

-Nick
    Krete

Bills n' Thrills.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    Your right...not complicated, actually quite easy....the true hunt is to get them in under 20yds.....it gets expensive when you try to kill them by reaching out 50+ yds...
    That is why I put one on Mike. With my setup the pattern is tight enough that I have missed at 15 yrds by trying to be too fancy with my bead sight. Past 25 the bead is sufficient.
    Barry Keicks

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DanO View Post
    I guess Chewy. I can't see spending much over $100 for a red dot scope unless I'm going to use it for many different hunts. I'm trying to avoid moving optics. I hate the hassle of finding the paper all over again. It gets expensive.
    I totally get you on what you choose to spend you money on. For me, I love that sight and how robust it is, and I have put quite a few rounds through those sights, so for me, itís worth it. With that said, I drive an old clunker and canít understand why people buy brand new fancy cars! Lol! I guess I am a sight junky! Oh, I havenít yet tried it for accuracy, but I have been dying to try switching barrels on my 870 to a rifled barrel and see how far the sights will be off. Hopefully one gun for many hunts with ďminimalĒ readjusting! Again, best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just starting out

User Info Menu

I now use a TRS-25, and it works well. The recoil from turkey loads can knock a cheaper red dot off centre.
    "The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast