Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stocked brookies this time of year

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Default Stocked brookies this time of year

This weekend I'm planning to go after stocked brookies in a small PGT lake on the southern shield, I'll be hiking in and fishing from a packraft (or from shore if recommended). I've never targeted them this time of year since most areas they're closed. What should my approach be in terms of technique, hardware, depth and shoreline features? I don't have a depth map of the lake but it's small enough I can probably guess from the surrounding topography. Since it's PGT I'm guessing there's no spawning happening and perhaps no real spawning ground in the lake, but should I be focusing on areas that seem similar to spawning ground? How does that work?

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Just starting out

User Info Menu

what does PGT mean?

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

I think it's Put Grow Take, but that's a guess as the ministry even calls it Put and Take.

Cheers
    Smitty

Straight shooter

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Yes - sorry, I meant put-grow-take. As in stocked without expectation of natural reproduction. I have seen PGT used in ministry documents. Maybe there's a subtle difference between PGT and P&T, like the age of the fish they stock? Anyway that's all I meant.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Thanks...I figured it meant something like put and take.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

At deer camo first week of November we see brookies near large rocks close to shore in groups. Not sure if Thu are spawning or just feeding. I would throw small mepps spinners and dew worms

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Sounds like spawning behaviour, or attempting to spawn anyways if there's no upwellings for them to use. Your best bet would likely be to fish for them the way you would in the spring, sunken wood/beaver lodges would be good spots to try, as well as areas close to deep water in case the lake is a tad warm for the brookies' liking. They should be shallow by now though. In terms of lures bring a bit of everything, let the fish tell you what they want.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone! I'll give it a shot.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

A peice of worm under a float works good at this time of year.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Thanks Woodsman. So just like a foot or so under the bobber? Or would you use a slip float to go deeper? Worm and bobber is a favourite of mine for stream specks but I've never tried it on lake brookies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast