Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dirty Carburetor

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Default Dirty Carburetor

I have two outboards on my boat - a 40 and a 5 hp - the 5 is a 4 stroke Mercury - during the fishing season it wasn't running too good but I put up with it - the other day I was going to run it awhile after putting sta-bit in the gas getting it ready for the winter - it would start but wouldn't run very long - I figured that it was a fuel problem so I disconnected the hose to the carb and verified that gas was reaching it - I then took the carb off the engine and took it apart - wow - when I took off the fuel bowl the inside was almost completely filled with some jeffy type crap - no wonder it wouldn't run right - what gets me is that I faithfully always put fuel stabilizer in the gas and still this crap formed - it seems like a carb cleaning needs to be a routine maintenance procedure anymore

I know that most outboard manufactures recommend that for long term storage you run the engine with a stabilizer in the fuel - years ago we always ran the motor after unhooking the fuel line and let the engine run out of fuel and stop - that way the carb is empty of fuel - I kinda thinking maybe that would be better than letting fuel sit in the carb all winter long

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I no longer buy the lower octane 87 for any of my seasonal motors. I find burning an 89 or 91 octane is actually cheaper in the long run as I no longer have to buy stabilizer or carb cleaners for storage and I do get better mileage and more responsive hp from the higher octane.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I'm on the other side of the fence, I run everything dry. I know, there are those that will lament that all the seals will dry out and cause problems. I've got a 40+ year old snowblower that still works fine after running it dry each year. The carb has never been opened. The only thing I use is Seafoam, great cleaner. I think mfgrs recommend stabilizer so they will see you you for repairs.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
    I'm on the other side of the fence, I run everything dry. I know, there are those that will lament that all the seals will dry out and cause problems. I've got a 40+ year old snowblower that still works fine after running it dry each year. The carb has never been opened. The only thing I use is Seafoam, great cleaner. I think mfgrs recommend stabilizer so they will see you you for repairs.
    yep, any of the new fuel with ethanol is crap, drain it when storing equipment if possible

Leads by example

User Info Menu

I run high test because here it is ethanol free.
    I also run some SeaFoam in the gas.
    Best thing since sliced bread.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

X 2 on the Seafoam... Great stuff. I also use it on diesel equipment as well...
    SkyBlue Big Game Blueticks

Just starting out

User Info Menu

The issue with regular gas is the ethanol in it. It will attract water and that is the jelly you saw in the float bowl. I run premium in all my small engines without issue. I use seafoam when I think to put it in and run the carb dry for storage with out any issues.

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

I have a couple of outboards, and numerous pieces of equipment. I also oversee property management for a Municipality, and have a large number of small engine equipment with that.

Every tank gets 91 octane, and a bit of Sea Foam. Every jerry can gets the same. We have ZERO issues with fuel, carb etc.

Sta-bil and other stabilizers are cr@p
    "Camo" is perfectly acceptable as a favorite colour.

Proud member - Delta Waterfowl, CSSA, and OFAH

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

I am a big fan of running my outboards, power auger and gennie, etc dry at the end of the season. Sea foam is amazing stuff so I do put it in my fuel (Premium) to stabilize it on occasion.

I learned a valuable lesson about Sea Foam this past week. I was up bird hunting a few weeks ago and a buddy of mine told me to put some Sea Foam in my cheap little 1500 Watt Champion Gennie as it running a little rough. He told me you can run the motor on straight Sea Foam so it doesn't matter how much you add. We gave it a healthy dose. Initially it ran good and then it became sluggish and eventually to the point it would not longer run anymore.

I tore the carb apart and noticed black chunks (small) all through the gas. I would bleed the gas off till the chunks disappeared, clean the card and put her back together. She would barely start. I opened her back up and there was black crap in the gas again. I did this four times and the black stuff was there every time and it would never run.

The last time, I drained the tank and filled it with fresh Premium fuel, cleaned the carb again and replaced the fuel line. It now purred like a kitten.

I believe the strong Sea Foam was breaking down the cheap Chinese rubber (?) fuel line.

I have heard it is tough on seals and never believed that before - till now. Sea Foam is great stuff but I would follow the directions on the bottle and I will always continue to run my motors dry for storage.
    Last edited by Muskyhunter; October 24th, 2017 at 08:05 AM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I put sea foam in everything and run premium fuel. I also run my outboard dry before stowing. Couple years ago if got stored without this procedure and I paid the price.
    I’m suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog who doesn't like a person.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast